Barrel Aging Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenFitness

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm looking at options for wine/whiskey barrel aging in terms of homebrew. I'm assuming most barrels (wine, whiskey, rum, etc.) are fairly large, and I've heard of soaking wood chips in wine or alcohol for a period of time and then aging beer on the chips for a period of time to mimic a barrel aged flavor.

Is there a list somewhere or can someone advise as to a good way to approach this from a homebrew perspective given that I don't have room for large barrels?

There are five gallon barrels, (or smaller). However, the important thing is the ratio of contact area between beer and wood. With the small barrels, it is way too high, and over-oaking is possible, and probably likely. Wood chips, cubes, or spirals are your best option, as you can better control that contact ratio.

Edit:

Options at a glance: http://home-brewing.northernbrewer.com/search?asug=&view=grid&w=oak

There are five gallon barrels, (or smaller). However, the important thing is the ratio of contact area between beer and wood. With the small barrels, it is way too high, and over-oaking is possible, and probably likely. Wood chips, cubes, or spirals are your best option, as you can better control that contact ratio.

Edit:

Options at a glance: http://home-brewing.northernbrewer.com/search?asug=&view=grid&w=oak

That is certainly a fact. But it's very easy to have a sample of your beer after one or two days. The first beer I racked into my (new, medium-toast, 20L) American oak barrel was a Russian Imperial Stout. I sampled it each and every day to determine the right amount of oak character I was looking for. At day four, I bottled it.

Try one ounce of medium toasted oak wood chips in your primary fermenter. Boil them in your wort for the last 5 minutes. I put mine in a hop bag.

Latest posts

Back