Barrel aged problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewernaut51

Reaction score
So, I've been homebrewing for 8 years but I've just started as an assistant brewer at out local Micro. I'm generally more of a lurker than poster but I've run into some trouble. The guy who had my job before me kegged off a bourbon barrel aged belgian abbey ale over the summer. I've got three barrels of it in the cooler and our taproom manager says she doesn't like it and doesn't want to serve it. I sampled it and it has a little acetaldehyde flavor which is what I believe is turning her off. Otherwise it's still sweet with a nice bourbon barrel aged flavor and is packed with fruity Belgian esters.

I think it could be a really enjoyable beer if not for the slight acetaldehyde. What could I do to doctor it up? Spices, fruit, whatever. I generally get a lot of leeway when it comes to specialty beers. I'll see our head brewer on Friday and I'd love to have suggestions to bring to him. Just curious as to what input the community might have.

you want to go to probrewer.com there is a wealth of info there. Bottom line 3 barrels is not worth trashing the breweries reputation

Hah, yeah. I could check there. This has just been my go to for so long. Well, if they tell me to dump it I have no problem with that. I was just curious if anyone has fiddled around with something like that.

That might be a neat experiment. I'm not sure where I'd ferment it though. We do have some Firkins. Maybe an airlock on it?

I'm starting to think Bryggeri is right though, they'll more than likely just tell me to ditch it.

Latest posts

Back