Barleywine Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prpromin

Reaction score
So I have a barleywine that I'd like to bulk condition for awhile (ideally several months). Now, the tricky bit - I'm probably going to move in May. As I see it, I have a few options:

1) I can just scrap the whole bulk conditioning and bottle it right before I move.
2) I can attempt to move the glass carboy in May (bad idea).
3) I can move it in the next few days to a friend's house where it can sit until I chose to bottle it.
4) Something else I'm not thinking of.

Additional information: I just brewed it this past Friday (2/3), so I would be moving it while fermentation is still active.

Any thoughts?

Do you have plans to eventually get into kegging? If so, a keg and one of the small co2 cartridges would give you a leak proof and nearly unbreakable way to transport it. You could then save the expense of a co2 bottle, regulator, and all til later.

Now, the tricky bit - I'm probably going to move in May...Additional information: I just brewed it this past Friday (2/3), so I would be moving it while fermentation is still active.

I really hope your fermentation isn't still active in a couple months. It should finish within a week assuming you've pitched the proper amount of healthy yeast, and then you can bottle it and age it as normal. If you have means to purge a secondary fermentor or keg with CO2 prior to transfer, that would be another option. I wouldn't transfer to a secondary and then move it without purging, however.

I should clarify that if I move it to a friend's house - that would be in a few days, while fermentation is still active. Not in May when it would be done. Stupid English language - obscuring my meaning:D

Latest posts

Back