Barleywine critique and dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpeterseufl

Reaction score
I'm looking for a critique on my barleywine recipe.

2 gallon batch
OG: 1.105
FG: 1.026
ABV: 10.2
IBU: 104

6.5 lbs Pale two row
.5 lbs Crystal 60L
.5 lbs Cane sugar

.7 oz. Columbus (60 min)
.8 oz. Cascade (25 min)
1 oz. Cascade (Dry hop)

Mash for 90 minutes at 150. Pitching onto US-05 yeast cake from American amber ale.

I plan on aging this in secondary for two months. Do I dry hop the entire time or a couple weeks before bottling?

Thoughts? Any opinions are appreciated.

Why 2 gallon batch? seems like a lot of work and time spent aging for a very little amount of finished beer.

Because I'm cheap and nervous about how it will turn out. Plus, I do a modified "BIAB" method that can't handle much more grain. I usually only do 3-gallon batches anyway.

to me the recipe looks good, i would add maybe another hop addition at flame out just for good measure. How many IBU's are you looking to get in this beer?

Since you asked for opinions, I'll give mine. I'd mash a Barleywine at a little higher temp. That's definitely your call depending on fermentability & your desired attenuation. I'm also thinking the grain bill looks a little plain. Search in the recipe database for "strong ale". I think you might get some good ideas for something that would add complexity to the grainbill like rye or flaked/roasted barley.

My dry hopping would be at the end of the secondary bulk aging if you want to have any aroma after 5-6 months in the bottle.

I'm down with smaller batches for different styles. It's a great way to try different styles & keep stuff manageable. I can do 3 gallon batches in those square better bottles & fit 4 of them in my lagering/conditioning fridge at a time. I can't do that with 5 gallon batches. It's also good for stuff I plan to bottle & age, because I don't tie up a keg or space in the kegerator.

Good luck with it.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of skipping the aroma hop (again, to keep it cheaper), thinking that the dry hop would provide plenty of aroma. I'm shooting for about 100 IBU.

I remember reading that barleywine should be mashed low to ensure fermentability. Is this something to be concerned with?

Also, I'm thinking of oaking this. Any suggestions on that?

I don't know if I'd want to make a Barleywine w/ the premise of keeping it cheap.

Mashing low does increase fermentability, but when I think of a Barleywine, I think of a big, malty, complex beer with substantial backbone.

Are you following a particular recipe as a guideline? Or just kind of winging it?

Maybe cheap isn't the right word. But I'm trying to get the most use out of my money.

I'm sort of basing it on other recipes, sort of winging it. I have looked at a few recipes and have flipped through "designing great beers." I think that author (his name has slipped me) suggests that many barleywines use either an aroma hop or a dry hop, and some use both. Am I off?

I'm sure not the expert on Barleywines, but I think the hopping schedule would depend somewhat on your style, if you're shooting for English or American Barleywine. Hop bitterness & aromas would probably be more evident in the American style.

Check out the BJCP guidelines: Style 19. http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_stylebook.pdf

Check out some of the "similar threads" below for other people's ideas & opinions on Barleywines.

with such a big beer, it will finish high anyways, so you want to mash low to keep it as fermentable as possible. For my last barley wine I mashed at ~148F and it still finished at 1.026. If I had mashed any higher it would have ended closer to 1.030 (or more), which I think you would want to avoid.

I agree about holding off on the dry-hopping until a week or so before you plan to bottle.

I think the grist looks fine too - most barley wines are usually pretty simple. The cane sugar addition is nice too as it will help thin it out some (again, with such a big beer, it's going to finish high. so some simple sugars will help keep it from finishing too high). Though I like to keep it under 10%.

I was thinking of skipping the aroma hop (again, to keep it cheaper), thinking that the dry hop would provide plenty of aroma.

This doesn't work very well, the two times I've tried it have been disappointing.

So do you think 1/2 an ounce or so of cascade at flameout? And what about oak chips? Is that something that might add to the beer or would that get in the way of the malty/hoppy goodness?

So do you think 1/2 an ounce or so of cascade at flameout? And what about oak chips? Is that something that might add to the beer or would that get in the way of the malty/hoppy goodness?

Barley wines are great with oak if you like the flavor - it won't mask the malt or the hops but add another dimension. If you like oak, you'll like it in a barley wine.

Back