Barley Wine adding sugar during primary fermentation,... how and how much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triat00

Reaction score
Hello,

So, Im an intermediat and just begin partial mash. Im reading a lot and cant fin exactly what Im looking for.
Im in a learning curve and it seems that the rule of 20% applies a lot and I wanted to know if its an other place where we can apply it.
For the sake of the exemple the rule of 20% applies with adjunct in a recipe (maximum) also when you convert extract to partial mash (read byo partial mash article - january/february 2013),...

So here is my question, Im planning a barley wine (recipe not completed yet) and the og will be over 1,090. Last time I did a big beer (belgian triple) I had some problem with my attenuation. I know that there are a lot of variable here but I read that you can split the sugar and add a part after fermentation begin. How far can you go with that?

Again, for the sake of the exemple, I was planning to use approximatly 2kg of grain, 5 kg of DME and maximum 1/2kg of sugar (dextrose, brown sugar,... dont know yet). Do you have any idea of how much sugar I can add after fermentation begin (20% :cross: )? Is there any change in flavor by doing so?

Let say that my recipe call for 23L (6gal) and Ill adjust water to get to 23L whit all the addition. My plan Is to mash, boil, add 1/2 of DME and then, after fermentation begins, add the other 1/2 of DME and sugar. What do you think?

Thanlks for your help

Anyone? What is the maximum you have done?

For my barley wine I finaly did mash 38% of fermentables, then I did a late addition of 32% of fermentables (DME- I know I read here that around 20% is better in part because of hop utilisation) and then I added 30% after fermentation began (mostly DME and some brow sugar).

Before I added the last 30%, my OG was 1,066 and after it went up to 1,098.

Why add sugar?

Step fermentation can be done with DME.

The sugar effect will be the same as if you had added it during the initial boil.

If you are insisting on sugar, the % depends on which kind.

If you want 20%, I would invert with a little lemon juice and water and caramelize it decently.

Using extracts in a hiiiigh gravity beer you are likely to run into attenuation.

If you really want to make high gravity stuff use simple sugars like dextrose, sucrose, or honey. Also whenever you mash, mash low to boost fermentability

Back