How to prevent yeast becoming lazy on huge simple sugar additions, like in a kit-and-kilo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oguretz

Reaction score
I brewed some all grain batches, and now I wanna try some cheap MJ NZ packs to decide if a can use those as a simple way to quickly solve my lack of stable fermentation routine situation, i.e. my 1st order noob state. I started reading Chris White's Yeast book, I've bought a big fridge and an STC-1000. My 2l Erlenmeyer flask and some light dme are coming with the first MJ NZ American IPA. My first plan is to make tiny enhancements but keep regular additional costs low. First tiny enhancement is to make a starter with its 7g unknown yeast. The second tiny enhancement is to to not use sucrose, to not spend more on dextrine or malt extracts or beer enhancers, but instead: use invert sugar or maybe dextrose/glucose to achieve FG and ABV as needed.

The question is: how to prevent stuck/partial fermentations with that much sugar? How do beer pouches' own sugars "make it"? Do more complex sugars remain unfermented and add sweetness? What happens if you add that much of simple sugars at a later point in fermentation, when yeast have eaten more complex sugars? (on a technical FG, but not yet near your recipe FG) After 10-14 days, will yeast be in a relatively good condition to ferment 1kg of monosaccharides? Does it need some additional yeast nutrition for it? Maybe baker's yeast boiled?

Most of the times I've seen people claiming stuck fermentations it's because they let or keep their ferment temps too low for the yeast they are using.

Find the ideal range and shoot for the middle to high end of that unless you desire a very long time for ferment.

I'm not sure what you think you are getting at with adding sugar. If the recipe doesn't call for sugar, then adding it will mean you aren't making that particular beer.

I'm sure a stuck fermentation is not a myth but anytime I've had gravity issues I've been able to explain them:

An incorrect reading along the way, either final or sometimes OG
A high mash temp making things not so fermentable
Crazy high gravity to start with
Yeast underpitch
Etc.

Mostly mistakes either when I was new or when I was getting back into the hobby about 4 years ago after a long break.

I guess my point is... what are you trying to fix? Maybe there's a different or better answer.

Under pitching is the best way to get a sluggish to stuck fermentation. As mentioned already, it doesn't help if wort temperature is too cool. The main problem with simple sugars, like glucose, sucrose, etc., is the lack of sufficient nutritional value for yeast cells. So if adding much it's best to add some yeast nutrients, too. Zinc, for most of the yeast cell's metabolism to function properly, diammonium phosphate, as a nitrogen source for proteins, and a nutrient blend of multi vitamins and minerals, just in case. Barley worts are usually very nutritious for yeast cells and might only lack enough zinc, if you plan to repitch yeast mainly. Adding simple sugar is going to reduce the nutritional quality of the wort. You can add dead yeast cells, but unless they were cultured and processed specifically for that purpose, it's not necessarily adding any value, nutritionally speaking.

I'm sure a stuck fermentation is not a myth but anytime I've had gravity issues I've been able to explain them:

An incorrect reading along the way, either final or sometimes OG
A high mash temp making things not so fermentable
Crazy high gravity to start with
Yeast underpitch
Etc.

Mostly mistakes either when I was new or when I was getting back into the hobby about 4 years ago after a long break.

I guess my point is... what are you trying to fix? Maybe there's a different or better answer.
Man, I'm so dumb... The thing is: yeast starts with dextrose, then fructose, and then others. But if you give them a lot of monosaccharides, they tend to flocculate right after they've eaten those simple sugars, leaving even disaccharides unfermented, if I can remember it correctly. This possibility of stuck fermentation should be prevented, because I need to develop a simple, stable, relatively cheap system to learn to ferment in a highly proper way. No hassle, consistent quality fermentation practices, with a single type of beer pouch, practically eliminating brewing inconsistencies. This is the only problem with it: lots of simple sugars or I'll pay double price for malt extracts as added sugar sources (okay, it's definitely a palate vs none situation, but I can live on "empty", 4.4% beer, especially in Summer) :)

Back