Barley not sprouting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BODWB

Reaction score
Been over 4 days and still don't see the barley starting to sprout. Have done two batches of Rye with no problem. Is it too cold for barley? About 60-65 in here. Or is it bad seed?

I've read that you want to soak in 60*F water, then when you drain let it sit in 70*F temps. I've never actually malted barley myself though.

Yeah i followed the instructions and soaked it for 8 hours. It's close to 70 in here some parts of the day. So maybe I just got bad seed.

In my experience, rye is some of the fastest sprouting grain there is. Give your barley a little longer.

Never did get the barley to sprout, but I went ahead and made a batch will all rye malt....

Tasted it last night and wow! I'm not even worried about the barley not sprouting. Going to make another batch in the next few days and this time I thinking I will use more rye than I did last time as I like the flavor.

Never did get the barley to sprout, but I went ahead and made a batch will all rye malt....

Tasted it last night and wow! I'm not even worried about the barley not sprouting. Going to make another batch in the next few days and this time I thinking I will use more rye than I did last time as I like the flavor.

I read that the Scots would roast the seed that didn't malt. I think I read it floated to the top during the soak stage? Anyhow, you can probably guess what the grain bill was for an authentic Scottish Ale.

I read that the Scots would roast the seed that didn't malt. I think I read it floated to the top during the soak stage? Anyhow, you can probably guess what the grain bill was for an authentic Scottish Ale.

Yeah I let it go "sour" then roasted it, had a nice aroma and smell when roasted I tasted it and it was flavorful so I used it. Also used some beer that let go sour so that was kinda neat too. I tend to like the stronger irish/scott/english/germanic type beers anyways.

Back