Barley Crusher, which size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've decided to pick up a 7 lb Barley Crusher. I'm doing partial grain brewing, although I plan to go all grain some day. I figure it's easier to store and I can always run two batches through when I start crushing more grains. If I change my mind later I could add my own box to the hop to increase the hopper size.

Am I making a huge mistake going with the 7 lb hopper?

You can easily extend the hopper. Not a big deal.

My new supply source has low prices and uses a nice 3 roller mill for the crush. He talked me out of buying a crusher. It lets me have more freedom to try various grains and not get locked into 50lb bags.

You can easily extend the hopper. Not a big deal.

My new supply source has low prices and uses a nice 3 roller mill for the crush. He talked me out of buying a crusher. It lets me have more freedom to try various grains and not get locked into 50lb bags.

...but also locks you into a supplier :eek: . I guess there are worse things, especially if the prices are low.

-John

Ahoy hoy,
Get the 15 pounder. Anticipate the future. Save yourself alot of headaches. The way it is constructed at the factory is much better then any 'addition' you will try to stick on later. I had considered doing the same thing, till I saw one. The 15 will have the extension rivitted on, and the edges are lined with padding so as not to slash yourself. And it is full packed when you go 15 pounds thats for sure. And no you dont want to have to do 2 half batches in the 7 pounder. The first time you realize the steps it takes even with an electric drill, the hassle of dumping, refilling, cleaning up the unavoidable mess that will occur when you start dumping and refilling, You will realize that its better to do it once, and all at one time. Ive run 4 or 5 hundred pounds of grain through mine, and every time I do, I smile at the thought of all the hassles I saved myself from by spending the extra jack, and getting the 15 pound model. You will not regret it.
Oh, and just to clarify, I hate spending money on things I can build myself, but this is one instance where its better to let the guy whos building the product to add the accessory . The way its made, anything but a tin hopper is going to throw its balance off, HAS to be physically attached to the lower hopper, because, if it isnt, you will find out just what a mess pounds of spilt grain can make.
I give you this advice from my own experiences. But I say again, this is one instance where its not worth trying to save a few bucks because your going to "make your own" . Opinions will vary. But you really DONT want to make your own hopper.
Whatever way you go though, the barley crusher is an outstanding product. Its worked flawlessly for me over the last year. Very well made.
And good luck in your endeavors!

I've got the bigger hopper on my crusher, and it works just fine. That being said the hopper is simply some additional sheet metal riveted into place to the 7# hopper below. You could easily get some thin sheet metal from the store and a cheap rivet gun and make your own that would be just as nice. I may even do this when I build a stationary milling station.

07356.gif

I just refill the hopper and keep on grinding...never really struck me as a problem.

Why would a grain mill force you to get locked into 50lb bags?
...granted, you can save quite a bit buying your most common grains in bulk but it's not like you have to.

I know that we sell way more 7lb Hoppers than 15. It is mostly due to the price, and the fact that pouring more grain into the hopper just is not that big a deal for most people.

Ed

I bought the 7 lb hopper, then I took a big a$$ cereal box from sam's club, cut out the bottom and top, jammed it down in the hopper and duct taped the seam. It's ugly as hell, but it holds about 20 lbs of grain. :D
I can take a quick pic if you'd like. This ugly solution saved me about $35!

Thanks everyone. Part of what is driving this is the last batch I got from there I had something come up and the crushed grains sat for three weeks before I had time to brew. I think I'll order whole grains going forward.

I got the 7lb model and can't really imagine needing the bigger one. Most of my grain bills are under 10 pounds anyway... plus, my scale doesn't measure more than 6 pounds including the bowl.

when I last did a comparison, there was about $20-30 difference. I doubt you could buy the sheet metal and rivets for that, let alone any time. And I am a big DIY fan.

I've suggested this many times but it always seems to go unnoticed. Oh well.

A $2-3 plastic wastepaper basket makes a handy extension to the stock 7# hopper. Cut the bottom out with a Dremel and set it into the stock hopper - done.

I've the 7lb model and it gives my 5 yo something to do on brewday. He uses a measuring scoop and puts the grain into the hopper while I'm grinding. Doesn't like the smell of the boil because mom doesn't, but he never misses measuring and grinding the grain.

I'll make a bigger hopper when he doesn't want to take part anymore. :D

I have the 7 lb. hopper not only to save a few bucks but because it can be tucked away easier when not in use. I find stopping for 30 seconds to refill a nice break for me and the cordless drill.

I have the 7 lb. hopper not only to save a few bucks but because it can be tucked away easier when not in use. I find stopping for 30 seconds to refill a nice break for me and my weeny arms.
Crushing the grain is the most exercise my arms get all week...it's why I haven't looked into getting a new drill (my existing one can't turn it at all).

Filling the hopper twice instead of once isn't an issue with me but I only do 5-6 gal batches. We'll see if I feel the same way after I crush the grain bill for a Doppelbock.:p

I just got the 7lb hopper from Brewmaster's Warehouse. I think it is a better solution simply because it won't be as apt to tipping over from being too top heavy.
By the way, THANKS ED!!!!

My pleasure and thank you for your support. I know you will love your new Barley Crusher. It seems to be almost universally loved by everyone that has one.

Thanks,

Ed

I have the smaller one and no problems.

I crush all my grain by hand and it still just takes a minute or two to get a whole batch ready.

Pouring more grain in half way through is totally fine with me.

We use the 15# in the LHBS I part time at. Occasionally we have a customer drive in from outstate that wants a whole 50# sack of 2-row crushed.

I have the 7 lb. hopper not only to save a few bucks but because it can be tucked away easier when not in use. I find stopping for 30 seconds to refill a nice break for me and the cordless drill.

Exactly. I would find storing a giant hopper to be far more inconvenient than stopping for a moment to dump more grain in. I'm real happy with my 7lb BC.

no, a REAL man would have a barley crusher for each grain he uses, with a 50# hopper on every one. Computer controlled crushing and weighing for the whole setup would take care of the real work. . .

arh arh arh.

B

I was thinking a real man wouldn't need a stinking hopper, he would just punch the grain until it was crushed to perfection. I hear Chuck Norris can crush grain under the pressure of his intense stare.

I chew all my grain up until it feels right in my mouth and spit it out into my mash ton. Gives me a good feel for the flavor too so I can adjust with more crystal 40 on the fly if needed.

When's the next swap by the way?

WOW! this thread went to hell pretty quick....

Well there are probably brews there to that could use this information. Where do you think BMC is made?

Back on topic.

I don't mind reloading the hopper as I usually load about 2 kilos of grain at a time, grind then check off the list. Base malts would be easier with a larger hopper but it's not that much of a deal.

What I DO want is a large hopper to hold the ground grain that I could then open to have the grains enter the MLT. I hate scooping and mixing.

I crushed in for Denny Conn's RYE IPA tonight.

It was nice just filling the hopper once for this 16 (ish) pound grist.

Oh... and last summer at band camp...I was crushing in some grains for a stout.....

I crushed in for Denny Conn's RYE IPA tonight.

It was nice just filling the hopper once for this 16 (ish) pound grist.

Oh... and last summer at band camp...I was crushing in some grains for a stout.....

More time to eat pretzels.....Snyder's?

BTW, I see you have the cordless drill. What happened to the old girl with the frayed cord and exposed wires? :D

That's not ugly junk...

More time to eat pretzels.....Snyder's?

BTW, I see you have the cordless drill. What happened to the old girl with the frayed cord and exposed wires? :D

Yeah...well...one night I was crushing in for a big 11 gallon APA and about 60% of the way through...she started smoking, sputtering...sparking, and just generally dying. You know how there's nothing quite like the smell of new electronics right out of the box?

There's really nothing like the smell of old electronics (or power tools) that are dying right in front of you.

She died happy.
She died brewing.
That's the way I want to go. (Right behind my first choice of being put down by a $1,000 a night hooker).
I've saved her "remains" and I will mount her soon for posterity.

Latest posts

Back