Barley Crusher Settings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am expecting my BC any day now, and I was wondering how you set yours up.
I guess it comes set-up with .039"
I also saw in a post that you have to use a different set-up for different grains.
So I was basically wondering what knowledge you could impart on me about it, or any other tricks or tips.
Thanks
Josh

I think most grains crush at the .039 setting just fine. Wheat is the only thing I have read that could be slightly smaller. I have a crusher that isn't adjustable. I believe its set at .040 and I haven't had any problems with any grain I have crushed.

you don't necessarily need to change it for different grains. i do wheat at the factory default and it looks fine to me.

I might try decreasing the gap to see if it raises my efficiency.

The adjusting you may have to do is on your recipes. If you have been getting you grain milled for you, the BC may give you a better crush leading to better efficiency. I would definitely take a pre-boil gravity to make sure you are where you expect to be, otherwise you may have too high of a SG and then be low on your hops.

the supposed factory set gap of .039 seems to be a good default setting. You can experiment with narrowing the gap, to the extent that your MLT manifold/braid can handle it without a stuck sparge.

My barley crusher did NOT come set to .039, in fact the rollers weren't even parallel - it was quite a bit tighter than .039 at one end, and quite a bit wider at the opposite end. Still, it crushed pretty well and my efficiency was in the 70's. I currently have it set at .037 and it seems to be working just fine. I know some people drop it to .035 or below, but I haven't tried pushing my luck too much yet.

I used my Barley Crusher for the first time yesterday. I didn't change it from the factory setting and didn't measure the gap. I got 80% efficiency. Plenty happy with that.

Yeah, I haven't changed it at all and I've been getting close to 80% (up from 55% - 60% using the HBS crush). Seems like a good crush, if anything, a bit on the aggressive side. I personally don't plan on futzing around with it too much, it seems to be pretty much spot-on out of the box.

Back