Barley Crusher for Flour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshaggy

Reaction score
I did some web searching, but couldn't find much information. I'm curious, could use my Barley Crusher for grinding wheat berries into flour? Also wondering about corn and other grains, and whether the gap can be set small enough. Thanks.

If yours is a roller mill; you can make flour. On your second pass you set the gap smaller. You'll still have to sift your flour to remove husks and chaff. I was told by a lady who does this for making bread from scratch.

For flour, you'd really be better off with a carona style mill, and even then you probably will not get quite as fine a flour as you'd like. You'd do even better with a stone mill but those get spendy quick.

Unless you get a stone mill, most flour mill for home use are plate mills....as is the Crona. I use a plate mill for flour, it is a LOT more work than using a roller mill for Barley.

Back