Barley Crusher followup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roylee

Reaction score
A year or so ago I saw some posts from those having Barley Crusher problems--specifically grain hanging above the rollers rather than being drawn through. Now, after about 500 lbs, mine is doing the same thing. Gets worse with each use and is a colossal pita. I sent the BC people an email several days ago, but no response. I've searched the old posts on this which suggest the problem may be either worn rollers or an incorrect gap. I've experimented with gaps, reversed the free turning roller, cleaned, oiled, etc... no help. Is there a solution other than new rollers? Does BC stand behind their "life-time" guarantee? Do they eventually answer email?

If it were me, I would call them. Don't be irate, but definately voice your frustrations. They can't hang up on you if you don't cuss at them. I usually use words like "poppycock" and various old british words. I have used this technique with many companies (ford, comcast, verizon etc...) and have experienced wonderful results of getting what I was asking for which was generally the company standing behind their product. Make sure that you use their company slogan "High Quality at an Affordable Price!" and explain that a mill that doesn't last past 500lbs of grain is nowhere near "high quality"

Calling them would be good if they posted a phone number. Their home page contact info lists only email.

You can also send a snail mail, nowadays it is quite an honor to receive an envelope from a customer!

Justice, Randall
B.C. Products Inc
P.O. Box 110
Allenton, MI 48002

If it were me, I would call them. Don't be irate, but definately voice your frustrations. They can't hang up on you if you don't cuss at them. I usually use words like "poppycock" and various old british words. I have used this technique with many companies (ford, comcast, verizon etc...) and have experienced wonderful results of getting what I was asking for which was generally the company standing behind their product. Make sure that you use their company slogan "High Quality at an Affordable Price!" and explain that a mill that doesn't last past 500lbs of grain is nowhere near "high quality"

Poppycock? As in "My Barley Crusher is Poppycock old chap, bollocks to you and your dear old Daddy!" Does that really work?

"For this thing to break after only running 500lbs of grain through it is pure poppycock. I thought you guys made high quality items at an affordable price. Do you stand behind the product you make? For this crusher to break after such little use tells me that it is nowhere near quality. Can you replace it? Do I have to pay to ship this thing back to you? Is this a common defect in your product?"

That is how I would handle the conversation.

Or you could use the yooper technique first and if that doesn't get you where you want to be, break out the large non cuss-word cuss words. I am one of the 4%of Americans that will complain about a product if there is something wrong with it. The other 96% will usually just go elsewhere for a similar product.

How about asking them for a shipping label to send it in for service? Sounds like a reasonable cleaning takes care of it at least some of the time. If they got their hands on it and could inspect it, perhaps it would result in a design update.

Instead of throwing a tantrum, find out what they can do under the warranty.

BTW, you're only run ~9 sacks through the mill? IMO, that's not a lot of grain to put through a mill. Especially for a home brewer that is looking to hit the cap each year (in amount to be brewed)... Of course, brew a couple of big barley wines and you could hit 9+ sacks real fast...

You will just get the form letter response with info on cleaning it. Cleaning helps but it will not repair the worn rollers. As far as I know they never have fixed this problem for anyone. It makes me wonder what the life time warranty means. I recommend a new (and different) mill. One is on my short list of next equipment to buy.

I started this one and it wasn't a beef or a rant in any way.... Just a problem that I was wondering if anyone had found a solution to. Steel brush, rotating the floating roller, cleaning, oiling, etc... hadn't helped in my case so I asked. I see that Randall with BC responded by suggesting I send him a snail mail letter. OK, that's my next step.

I started this one and it wasn't a beef or a rant in any way.... Just a problem that I was wondering if anyone had found a solution to. Steel brush, rotating the floating roller, cleaning, oiling, etc... hadn't helped in my case so I asked. I see that Randall with BC responded by suggesting I send him a snail mail letter. OK, that's my next step.

Not really, that was I who suggested it. I am always amazed how customer service these days is such a lost art that consumers are not sure how to ask for it anymore.

When I ran my service business a customer merely had to say "you did it wrong or it's broken" and we bent over backwards to fix the problem as fast as possible with the least amount of distress for the customer. We'd work all night if need be to get it right. Don't insult BC, don't curse, don't point out that you've read of issues - just say mines broke, how do I get it to work again?

Mine does the same thing, I bet the solution is just some oil on the free roller, and maybe taking it apart to clean. I'm lazy and haven't cleaned it, and I live in a place with I think negative humidity, so its happened in even less than 500 lbs of grain for me.

I ordered one a couple weeks ago. Still don't have it wonder if it is too late to cancel and get a better one. Any suggestions? I was also looking at monster mill? Only reason I bought BC was lifetime warranty and beer smith recommend it.

I should add that shortly after posting here yesterday my earlier email to BC was answered. Probably a coincidence as the reply appears to be the same form others have referred to, giving the list of things to do (which I'd already done and so stated in my mail to them). Thunder--- in answer to your question as to whether I'd buy another one, had you asked that 2 months ago I'd have said absolutely. For 2 yrs the thing worked flawlessly. But once the hanging grain issue started it's gotten progressively worse (and please, I don't need anyone else to tell me to clean, brush, oil, reverse the floater, regap or change speeds. I have). Can I get grain to flow by reversing the drill for a second? Sometimes. Can I get it to flow by reaching below and turning the free roller? Sometimes. Sometimes a long spoon handle will free it... other times the only solution is to dump the grain and start over, and then it might run only a few seconds before hanging up again. So given my experience and what I've read from others, I'd look at other options. I don't know what, as before this I was using a hand crank corona and going back to that would kill this old-timer. But I'd sure look around.

Thunder...to be fair the HB store near here has used a BC for years, and there are people on this forum that have run more grain through their BC than I have and swear by them. I'm still hoping to repair the one I have, and if they'll give me a reasonable price on new rollers I'll try that. Otherwise let me know how your crankenstein works out......

Well after some reading I've got my sights set on a 2-MM monster mill. You'll have to let me know how much the rollers cost. I'd still love to get one because the $60 difference would presumably be enough to replace the roller when the time comes.

I was having issue with my BC on every brew. I slowed my crush speed by 75% and no more issues. Sorry that's not your solution :(

Same problem as everyone else. I am going to hand-write him a letter, explain that I've tried his solutions and they didn't work for me. Then I will request that it be repaired or replaced under the lifetime warrantee. Out should be that simple. A lifetime warrantee is a lifetime warrantee.

I just got mine in the mail today. It looks like it is built pretty good.
I did notice it uses an o ring on the second roller to turn it when there is not any grain in it.
If I were you I would put a new o ring on it and see if that helps the problem with feeding the grain in.

Back