Bar/ Kegerator Design Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on a build I'll be working on soon. The goal is to construct a bar with DIY kegerator built in. I've seen a lot of builds of a basic bar with a standard chest freezer kegerator that slips in underneath, feeding the tap tower above, but what I want to do is have the interior of the framing of the bar essentially be an insulated fermentation chamber, but used for the purpose of refrigerating several corney kegs at a time, with lines running to the draft tower on the countertop.

Main reason for this is I don't like the idea of top loading kegs with a chest freezer, but rather would like to side load them, similar to a commercial under-the-bar fridge, but the cost of those are a bit too steep for me. I've built a large fermentation chamber before, and although it was functional, the framing was clunky and not too elegant. Since this will ultimately function as the base for a freestanding bar, I'd like the design to be simplified as well as effective. Just looking to see if anyone has built, or run across other builds similar to this so I can get some rough ideas to begin designing the framing.

Sorry I can't help but I'm interested in what you come up with. I'm hoping to have a walk in cooler with taps coming through the wall for my bar but if that doesn't work, I'd prefer your approach vs a kegerator/keezer built into the bar.

I think it's going to be much easier and potentially cheaper to just use a standard under-counter domestic fridge(s) for this kind of project. The only time I'd consider a chest freezer, other than for a standalone bar/keezer, which can be great in terms of keg capacity, is if space was available in an adjacent room and you could take beer lines through the wall. This opens up more flexible bar designs without the unavoidable bulk. Right down to a minimalist bar with taps fixed to the wall.

Back