Band aid taste in first batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesJ

Reaction score
Oh hell, I've had my first batch, an american pale ale in bottles for about 7 weeks now. After 3 weeks it had a strong water taste and the carbonation was weak. After 5 weeks, the water taste was still there but slightly improved and the carbonation was better. Now at 7 weeks, the beer is carbonated well, the water taste is still there but improved a little more but now there is a band aid like after taste to it that is very noticeable. It gets harder to drink halfway through the beer because the band aid taste just gets that much more noticeable.

I searched through threads and saw this is a common off-flavor. Just curious what causes this off flavor? I made plenty of small mistakes as this was my first batch so I think the cause could be a number of things. I used the one-step no rinse powder to sanitize from my LHBS. Any thoughts on where this off-flavor comes from? Thanks.

How much One Step did you use? Did you use any bleach on anything?
Did you use any other sanitizer?

Use either star-san or iodophor. As far as I know, they are the only true no-rinse sanitizers. One-step is really just a cleaner.

Since this was my first batch I was very careful with cleaning and sanitizing everything. I used one step no rinse powder that came from my LHBS and used the recommended 1tablespoons per gallon of water. I didn't use any other sanitizers. I made a mixture of 3 gallons and sanitized everything with it. It said not to rinse so I let it air dry. I used city water that was filtered through a britta pitcher for my wort and then topped up with primo water in the primary feremter.

I have StarSan to use for future batches but I made 2 more beers using the same cleaner as my first batch. I can only hope that I don't get the band aid taste in those. Thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

Back