Banana Scent & Flavor in Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffman53

Reaction score
Howdy!

My buddy and I brewed a batch of Irish red with a touch of coffee to it a few weeks ago. I let it ferment for two full weeks and dry hopped it with a half ounce of cascade hops. I bottled today and I couldn't help but notice a hint of banana aroma. I sampled my hydrometer sample and it also had a banana-like flavor to it. Not overwhelming but noticeable. Anyway, I know that is common with Belgian Dubbels so I'm not worried about an infection or anything being tainted. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Below is the recipe and readings... The readings were right on with what hopville's recipe calculator predicted. BTW, the sample tasted good but was more like a tea than a beer. I think it will taste great once it conditions in the bottles for a few weeks.

Thanks,
D

10 lbs Pilsen light LME
8 oz. caramel malt 120L
1 oz. chocolate malt
8 oz. coffee malt
1 oz Ken Goldings (boiling)
0.5 oz. Cascade (aroma)
1 pack of Danstar Nottingham yeast

O.G. = 1.072
F.G. = 1.018

That flavor usually comes from fermenting a little on the warm side. What were the ambient temps when you were fermenting? More importantly, what were the temps during the first couple days of active fermentation?

Thanks for the quick response. I added the yeast when wort had cooled down to seventy-six degrees. This was during a particularly hot spell in the midwest where we had 90+ for three straight weeks. We had our AC on but the room temp was probably right around that same temperature. I'd prefer it to have been a few degrees cooler and had never really considered that it may affect the beer. Will the scent and flavor fade away after a few weeks?

Thanks again!
D

Probably esters from a warm fermentation. Sounds pretty minor here, so I bet it'll condition out with time. That dry hop might even mask it pretty well in the meantime. Do a search for esters on HBT and you'll find some great info. Cheers!

Back