Banana Bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It’s probably going to be ok, but …

My temperature probe in the chest freezer I’m using for fermentation got knocked, and the temperature went up to 80 F or so for a Hefeweizen and a Dubbel I was making. The Dubbel was just getting started, but the Hefeweizen essentially dropped 10 or 20 gravity points in a couple of hours. I’m guessing I made a lot of banana esters in that time.

I used Omega Bananza, so there will be no clove.

so the banana won't be studded? just smooth succulent..

1664331439007.png

i'm just making my contribution, kinda a question...there are people that can't find what you are worried about achieving....

I've had a really hard time getting sufficient banana esters for a hefeweizen, dunno where I'm going wrong and I've all but given up. I did try Omega Bananza but the esters without any phenols was unbalanced, and though the banana character was there, on its own it didn't taste like a hefeweizen.

My doomsday plan is to mash with circus peanuts and a few cloves, then ferment warm in an open fermenter with the Weihenstephan strain, but I'm not that desperate yet.

If I ever do brew it, it'll be called Clown Pianist, for obvious reasons.

I think we're working along the same lines. This batch is in fact a "Hefauxweizen," where I was counting on the yeast for the banana, and I added actual cloves in the whirlpool.

I made a single hop ale with just Jarrylo hops. Had plenty of banana aroma notes and flavors to it.

Not certain whether you are or aren't wanting the banana notes.

What yeast strain did you use?
US-05.

My goal was simply to see how different hops exhibited in beer. So I did several single hop 1 gallon brews. Each using just one type hop and US-05 since it's supposed to be very neutral yeast in it's contribution to flavors and aromas.

Fermented at about 68°F (20°C) ambient air temps.

When hefeweizen yeast get too hot they start making strawberry flavor in addition to banana, which is why you get that bubble gum flavor in improperly fermented hefeweizen and some Belgian beers.

I've had a really hard time getting sufficient banana esters for a hefeweizen, dunno where I'm going wrong and I've all but given up. I did try Omega Bananza but the esters without any phenols was unbalanced, and though the banana character was there, on its own it didn't taste like a hefeweizen.

My doomsday plan is to mash with circus peanuts and a few cloves, then ferment warm in an open fermenter with the Weihenstephan strain, but I'm not that desperate yet.

My 2 cents is ferment and higher temp. Early on I brewed a Hef at the max yeast temp that was banana in your face. Next time I brewed at the lowest yeast temp and it was more clove flavoured.

Hefeweizen and a Dubbel I was making. The Dubbel was just getting started, but the Hefeweizen essentially dropped 10 or 20 gravity points in a couple of hours. I’m guessing I made a lot of banana esters
Have done the same attempting a Hefeweizen

Last edited:

The last batch of Hefe Weizen I brewed I used Lallemand Munich Classic dry yeast @ 68 degrees. Plenty of banana. Best Hefe I've made, tasted like most of those I drank while stationed in Germany.

Done fermenting, kegged, not much time for conditioning but it's a hefe, so.

It's surprisingly restrained. A lot of nice banana notes. Weak on the clove; I'll have to add more (actual cloves) next time. Bready/doughy/wheaty. Some sulfurous overtones that are noticeable but not unpleasant. All in all this is one of the better hefeweizens I've made!

Not sure if this is the right thread but since I saw Hefe, question - I want to use HBC 630 (seems a fairly balanced hop and hefes aren't big on hop character anyway) and the Verdant IPA yeast (from David Heath's video). Any comments on either?

Thank you.

Not sure if this is the right thread but since I saw Hefe, question - I want to use HBC 630 (seems a fairly balanced hop and hefes aren't big on hop character anyway) and the Verdant IPA yeast (from David Heath's video). Any comments on either?

Thank you.
Late to the party in this, so you may have already made it. HBC 630 tastes like fuzzy peach, raspberry and cherry lozenge to me. It’s great in black ipa or american stout—that’s where I’ve used it before with success. But I think that to the extent that you want to add fruity hops to a hefe, think fruits like strawberry, peach, lemon, pineapple, coconut, etc. I’ve got a weizenbock on day 4 of ferm with Grungeist hops in it. The hydro sample was delightful and the room it’s open fermenting in (glass carboy with tin foil on top) smells like bananas and faintly of juicy peach. Just my 2 cents.

Back