Bam!! Pisssssshhh!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrew

Reaction score
The title of this post pretty much just describes what happened to me.

I just had a 15lbs CO2 tank re-certified and filled. I brought it home and set it out by my kegerator in my garage. I started doing some work in the garage when all of the sudden I hear BAM!!!! PISSSSHHHHH....

I look over at the CO2 tank and it is emptying all of its CO2 out of the tank valve's pressure release port. There wasn't much I could do so I just lost a full 15lbs tank of CO2.

Any ideas on what could have made this happen?

Here is some more info:
It is about 85 to 90 degrees in the garage, but I can't imagine that temperature could have caused the tank to blow the pressure release valve. Was this environment too hot for the tank?

I had this hooked up to a pressure regulator. The primary gauge was way pegged past 2000lbs. In fact, it was pegged on the other side of the post where the needle rests when it is at zero. Might the tank have been over filled?

Could my pressure release valve just have gone bad on this tank valve?

Any help is appreciated. I am a little pissed that I just lost all this CO2... :(

they over filled it.

yesterday I had had a couple of fresh swap 15lb tanks in the sun, in the high-90s and they were just under 1200 in the worst of it.

Sorry for the need for clarification amandabab, but I'm still shaking from the surprise of my tank going off!

I take it that under those conditions your 15# tanks didn't blow?

Also, I am feeling like they should refill my tank free of charge. Is this a reasonable expectation given this situation?

no they didn't blow.

if the tank had been in a hot closed up car they can go, but if it was just in a garage and the burst disk went, it was over filled.

edit: yes they owe you a free refill. this is why a never have a tank filled. swapping is cheaper and easier.

Back