Ball Valve or Not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natefrog255

Reaction score
I'm thinking about making my next larger purchase in brewing and it will be a new larger brewing kettle. I'm thinking about just going with a 10 gallon MegaPot. However I'm wondering if a ball valve is worth the extra $50?

Currently I am an extract only brewer and am looking to getting into partial (steeping) grain by the end of the year. I don't forsee me going all grain in the next year or anything.

I will not add on the thermometer. I think I could handle that job myself if I need it.

Any information or advise is appreciated.

are you brewing indoors or out? if out doors I would take your upgrade one small step above your proposal and go to a 15 gallon. I personally like keggles, but a rather tall and narrow 15 or so gallon pot will accomplish the same thing. The nice thing is that you can easily do a 5 gallon batch, but a 10 gallon is easy to do as well. For this versitility you just want to make sure that you don't have a pot that is short and wide. I would highly recommend the ball valve option. If you have the pot sitting high enough you will eliminate the need for lifting or for siphoning.

If you are worried about making the jump, check out some of the batch sparging threads. I've been brewing a little over a year and made the switch after about 4 extract batches. The cost savings and increase in versatility are huge. I can brew a 60 min mash 10 gallon batch in a little under 5 hours. I use the spreadsheet on this thread for every batch. Between this spreadsheet and a bit of reading it made making the jump into all grain very easy. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/cps-brew-chart-3-0-a-224451/

Please don't take my all grain recommendation as being too much of a push, it's not that at all. Just keep in mind your long term goals to avoid investing in equipment that you will find limiting later on.

Here are some of my thoughts for what it is worth.
Brew Kettle size - Ten gallons is good, but if you can, you might consider going to 15 gallons. It will allow you the opportunity to do bigger batches in the future. Also, it is really nice having the additional head space.
Outdoor Propane burner - This will be necessary when you do move to all grain as it is pretty hard to get the needed boil going on a stove top.
Ball Valve -- I find this to be a must have item, but it can easily be added later on. Many valves that are of the weldless variety are available -- that is all I use. I also have purchased my ball vavles from Williams Brewing in CA. They have a nickel plated weldless valve designed specifically for brewing. The nice thing about it is that it offers a couple of options for attaching dip tubes or trub filters. Also, that valve is less than $20.
Thermometer - again, I find this to be necessary for all grain brewing. You need to know your water temperature for your strike water. However, this can also be added at a future date.
Some of the best purchases I made were for the 15 gallon kettle and the propane burner.

I hope that this helps.

Mark

Thanks for the replies. I may consider the 15 gallon instead. Yes, I am also in the market for a propane burner. I saw a Blichmann one on Craigslist but his asking price is still steep and I do find some good deals at hardware/outdoor stores from time to time.

I would love to stay indoors, but ideally if I am dealing with a propane burner I suspect I will have to be outside on my deck.

The last time I attempted to pour wort out of the brew kettle, it was 5 gallons in a 7.5g pot. I couldn't imagine doing that often or for larger batches without another person to help. A bulkhead drain is much safer and convenient.

My only concern is after tax/shipping that a 15g w/ball valve is gonna be around that $250 mark. But so far I have taken to the hobby so long term it may be best to buy bigger. Tough calls! :)

My only concern is after tax/shipping that a 15g w/ball valve is gonna be around that $250 mark. But so far I have taken to the hobby so long term it may be best to buy bigger. Tough calls! :)

How about The Brewhemoth Penrose Kettle under $200, ball valve in place and free shipping. Then you come in $60 under the other pot and can cover the cost of your burner.

It's not really a tough call, if you're serious about brewing, just buy it. Then you won't have 2 pots you never use laying around like I do.

Ball Valve -- I find this to be a must have item, but it can easily be added later on. Many valves that are of the weldless variety are available -- that is all I use. I also have purchased my ball vavles from Williams Brewing in CA. They have a nickel plated weldless valve designed specifically for brewing. The nice thing about it is that it offers a couple of options for attaching dip tubes or trub filters. Also, that valve is less than $20.

Just a note on this one: bargainfittings.com has had their three piece stainless steel ball valve on sale for under $20 for months. Of course, that doesn't include the weldless bulkhead, which may hold for the nickel plated kit from Wiliams...

Long story short, there's plenty of options out there that will save you money over the $50 add-on from whatever vendor you're buying your kettle from.

Is a lid necessary...? I'm guessing not. You boil, chill as fast as possible and transfer to primary fermenter.

It's nice to have a lid to get up to boiling faster, and if you need to cover it after chilling. You can get a cheap lid anywhere.

I started with a 5, switched to a ten. Should have gone right to the 15.

I've got a Brewhemoth now, It's a great product.

How about The Brewhemoth Penrose Kettle under $200, ball valve in place and free shipping. Then you come in $60 under the other pot and can cover the cost of your burner.

Any negatives to this kettle? I like the look and cost of it, plus its 15g/ball valve. Pretty sure I will purchase by the end of the week unless I hear horror stories. Temp gauge drilled in kettle isn't a huge deal and obviously could add myself fairly easy I'd guess.

They will add an extra coupler (for a fee) on there for you so you can just buy a thermometer to screw in there. Better have them do it no than you try later. I just ordered mine, cant wait!

They will add an extra coupler (for a fee) on there for you so you can just buy a thermometer to screw in there. Better have them do it no than you try later. I just ordered mine, cant wait!

That seem like a great idea to me for the cost involved.

What is the best game plan to sanitize the Penrose Kettle or is there no need b/c of the boil?

This thing is a beast! The wort chiller I built barely sneaks over the top. I like it thought, I'm set for a long time and can always get other uses of it I'd imagine. My only issue is I can't get the ball valve to align on top, its on the side and I don't want to use pipe wrench and scuff everything up. It shouldn't really matter besides aesthetically.

You don't sanitize boil pots or most things on the hot side. Clean it, absolutely.

Treat them like high end cookware.

I had a 15 gallon pot for years. No ball valve. I've done many 10 gallon batches. Most by just poring out of the kettle just by tipping it on the burner. I have siphoned out of it from time to time to whirlpool but it has not improved my beer any. My half inch racking cane takes much longer than pouring. I've found no real need for a ball valve. I'd rather spend the money on grain.

Back