ball valve lever alignment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alemaker

Reaction score
I've seen ball valves that are aligned perfectly (the levers are perfectly horizontal or vertical). Is the trick to this to screw the valves on first to find out where they stop, and then mark the couplings so that they'll be welded on correctly?

I've never had a problem with this. If they don't tighten in the orientation you like, you can remove it and put two extra wraps of teflon tape. It's even easier with 3 piece valves when you can just remove the 4 nuts and spin the body.

I've never had a problem with this. If they don't tighten in the orientation you like, you can remove it and put two extra wraps of teflon tape. It's even easier with 3 piece valves when you can just remove the 4 nuts and spin the body.

OK. That's definitely something to consider.

What's the deal with 3 piece valves? Why do I want one over a 2 piece (other than this particular advantage)? I'm not familiar with them.

With pipe threads, after it's tight enough to seal, you can usually get at least another 1/2 turn to orient it correctly.

With pipe threads, after it's tight enough to seal, you can usually get at least another 1/2 turn to orient it correctly.

+1 The threads are tapered and you can get at least an additional 1/2 turn and usually more after the fitting is tight enough to seal. There is very little pressure to deal with when using these valves the way most of us do, so they don't need to be very tight. Just a little more than firmly snugged will do it, then just rotate it to the position you desire from that point. Extra wraps of Teflon tape will also do the trick.

Latest posts

Back