ball lock vs. pin lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niilo

Reaction score
Im going to finally start kegging my beer. Especially since keg connection has the awesome deal going on. So what is the difference? Which do you guys prefer? Is there a major advantage to one over the other?

Pin lock are shorter and fatter, Ball Lock are taller and skinnier. Ball lock are generally easier to find. It doesn't matter, but once you start with one style, then you're committed (or not).

I run both types, so I have both fittings, gas in and beverage out. I have about 14 kegs, 12 of them are pin lock.

Well I've figured out I MIGHT have enough room in my mini fridge for pin lock kegs. The only thing I'd like to know, if possible, is how tall the pin locks are WITH the connectors on. thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Pepsi = Ball lock
Coca Cola= Pin lock

that being said Pepsi ball locks were more common than pin locks.

-=jason=-

how tall the pin locks are WITH the connectors on

I only have ball lock kegs, but, the connectors sit less than 1" above the top of my kegs. I also remember seeing some low profile connectors that sat flush with the top of the keg somewhere before.

I would go with the ball lock, they are more common here plus I have seen more gadgets available for the ball lock.

Ball locks are more common in homebrewing = easier to find in more places for lower prices.

That being said, some folks will swear by pin locks... then again, some people will swear that Elvis is still alive, too... doesn't make it true.

I prefer ball lock, but only because my 4-keg kit came with ball lock kegs and fittings. Eventually, however, I'll probably get connections for pin lock, because around here they seem to come up on Craigslist far more frequently and they're also cheaper at a few shops around here.

I went with pin lock, mostly on the recommendation of my LHBS. The recommendation was based mostly on that the pressure relief valves on the ball lock kegs (pin locks don't have one) tend to go bad and start leaking over time which increases your cost, and potentially costs you a bottle of CO2. They're also cheaper here, and most places online that I've seen.

That being said...two of my friends who have been brewing for years both have ball locks, and neither has ever had a problem.

Really the more serious question here is....do you prefer coke or pepsi?

:p

Ball lock is definitely more popular now. They're a smaller diameter keg, but are a bit taller. Rumor has it that ball locks are going to become harder to come by and prices will go up.

Really, they'll both get the job done. I bought 4 pinlocks because I could find a better deal on them. The only concern I have is due to the larger diameter...a chest freezer that can barely squeeze in 4 ball locks will only fit 3 pinlocks.

Well I've figured out I MIGHT have enough room in my mini fridge for pin lock kegs. The only thing I'd like to know, if possible, is how tall the pin locks are WITH the connectors on. thanks for any help you guys can offer.

The pinlock kegs that I have are 24" tall with the liquid and gas connections attached.

Perfect. That's the answer I need. Thanks a bunch. Now I gotta figure out how to lose the drip tray for the freezer

Latest posts

Back