Ball lock or Pin lock which is better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mreed

Reaction score
Is the ball lock on a keg better than the pin lock?

Most of the kegging articles I read talk about ball lock, are they superior to the Pin lock? I just recently acquired a kegging system with pin lock connections. Should I change them to ball lock?

Thanks

Mark

I asked this question not to long ago because am interested in getting into kegging.

Short answer, its all about what you have/can get. I think the Ball locks are a little smaller as far as diameter, but are a little taller. Pin locks are fatter, but shorter.

It really is all about what you want and/or have access too. I went with pin locks because they are usually cheaper than ball locks.

ymmv

I just recently acquired a kegging system with pin lock connections. Should I change them to ball lock?

I have read threads where people have put the wrong line on ball locks but not on pin locks

I have pin locks because I bought them for cheap

all the best

S_M

I chose pin lock over ball lock because they seem to be a bit cheaper in general, can't hook them up wrong, and I always preferred Coke over Pepsi as a kid. The dimensions (height vs width) are worth considering if you already have a kegerator or keezer they need to fit. Potential down sides to the choice include pin lock kegs & parts seem to be a bit less common than ball lock, seems most articles and posts assume ball lock as the standard corny, need a special tool to remove pin lock posts.

For me ball locks work out better because the difference in diameter ends up being enough for me to fit an additional keg in my keezer. I have put the gas line on the fluid out post before, but it becomes obvious right away when you here fluid gurgling, and I just swap it back around (the post are marked both on the rubber handle and the post itself is notched). At my LBS, pin locks are about $10 cheaper however. But to me, being able to squeeze and extra keg in my keezer makes the price difference tolerable. To each there own, this is just what works for me.

Basically, it boils down to a matter of personal choice. There are pros and cons for each. It's up to you to decide what works best for you. I, personally, have a mix. There are quick disconnects for the ends to allow you to swap out a pin-lock for a ball lock on the fly.

I chose pin lock over ball lock because they seem to be a bit cheaper in general, can't hook them up wrong, and I always preferred Coke over Pepsi as a kid.

Haha, that's awesome. Love it.

The big reason that I went ball lock is that the pin locks do not come with a manual overpressure valve, which the ball locks have. If you want to bottle off your keg or if you want to do the quick-carb thing, this is important.

I say this, but maybe pin lock users have a work around for this...

Things to consider:
1) What can you set up cheaper (price out full setups)
2)How many can you fit in your cooling equipment of choice.
3) How much more beer can you brew now that you have kegs.
4) What the hell happened to my bank account?

I was asking the same question when I bought into kegging. I have always a been a Pepsi guy, had to say that. I went with the Ball lock, I have three kegs in my Keezer. Here is what I found: It might be just me, but I have a hard time telling the difference between the In and Out posts. I have to look at the worn down writing. With this being said and the fact that the Pin kegs are cheaper and more available, I wish I would have goen the Pin route.

I dont know if you are trying to prove me wrong or prove me right.

not trying to prove anything my friend

just a statement that 5 out of the last 8 I bought had manual pressure relief valve

which is not a big deal one way or another they sell a 2 dollar item called a poppet depressor to bleed off pressure in a pinlock

S_M

My choice came down to all club events and setup takes ball lock. Seems to be more compatible with my circles.

Sent from my HTC One X using Home Brew mobile app

I was asking the same question when I bought into kegging. I have always a been a Pepsi guy, had to say that. I went with the Ball lock, I have three kegs in my Keezer. Here is what I found: It might be just me, but I have a hard time telling the difference between the In and Out posts. I have to look at the worn down writing. With this being said and the fact that the Pin kegs are cheaper and more available, I wish I would have goen the Pin route.

I've heard of people remedying this by having different colored post o-rings. Also if both posts are hex posts then the gas side will have a slit going around the hex.

no trying to prove anything my friend

just a statement that 5 out of the last 8 I bought had manual pressure relief valve

which is not a big deal one way or another they sell a 2 dollar item called a poppet depressor to bleed off pressure in a pinlock

S_M

Party on, Garth.

Latest posts

Back