ball lock disconnect failure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelon83

Reaction score
I had a friend over for a beer, I went to serve one of my pales and a little trickle came out then nothing. I checked the gas, swapped the gas with a working keg, nothing. I swapped the beer line to another (known working) keg and still nothing. I pulled the disconnect off the keg and worked the inner poppet doohicky, I saw the beer in the line move.

I had an extra disconnect so I swapped it out and voila tap working great. Holding the old disconnect upside down, I filled the cup with water and used a tool to depress the poppet. The water dumped straight out. So what gives, do the tolerances on these things get that loose? Why did it work fine for two months and fail to dispense now? Will the microwave ever be able to cook a burrito evenly?

Is it possible that you had some crude in the disconnect\poppet that was cleared out and now works? Or there could have been an issue with the poppet o-ring.

I find that if I eat the burrito really fast the cold and hot spots average out to the perfect temperature.

A buddy asked if it froze. I think it's probably the best explanation. It was in the perfect spot for it, right under the freezer dump.

Back