Bag End Blonde! 06/06/10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedsbrew

Reaction score
Following from my 'Lothlórien Mist', LOTR inspired Wit. Today I am brewing 'Bag End Blonde'

A pale, blond ale with Pacific Gem and Green Bullet

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
UK Pale Ale Malt - Marris Otter 1.780 kg 40.0 % 2.0 In Mash/Steeped
UK Munich Malt 1.335 kg 30.0 % 2.9 In Mash/Steeped
UK Lager Malt 0.890 kg 20.0 % 0.7 In Mash/Steeped
UK Wheat Malt 0.223 kg 5.0 % 0.2 In Mash/Steeped
German Caramel Pils 0.223 kg 5.0 % 0.2 In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
NZ Pacific Gem 14.0 % 12 g 20.0 Loose Whole Hops All Of Boil
NZ Green Bullet 13.7 % 20 g 15.2 Loose Whole Hops 15 Min From End
NZ Green Bullet 13.7 % 25 g 7.6 Loose Whole Hops 5 Min From End
NZ Green Bullet 13.7 % 50 g 0.0 Loose Whole Hops At turn off

Yeast
White Labs WLP051-California Ale V

1st-runnings.jpg

1st runnings were a lovely colour!

1st-runnings-03.jpg

1st-addition.jpg

Boil salt additions and Pacific Gem 90 min boil hops! Even though the PG are 07 harvest they smelt awesome. Very sticky resin as well! :D

hop-additions.jpg

From left to right. 15min 20g GB, 5min 25g GB, 80 deg steep 55g GB. The proto floc granules are in the wrong tub i konw, I realised this when I went for the 15 min addition.

PBG.jpg

Pre boil gravity. Not sure what temp this was at when I took the pic but I measured it at 61 deg C and it was 1.028 which is 1.044 @ 20 deg C. Target PBG was 1.043 so happy with this as my PB volume was 28L bang on the prediction :D

It's 16:33 here in Lees UK and the trub is just settling out after the chiller has come out.

Cheers chaps! well it's got down to its FG, will post some more pics when its kegged and a few tasters have been tested! :D

agreed. those hops look bricked, which ive never seen before

They come in vac pac pouches from my supplier so are always tight packed like that! :)

Just transfered into secondary to get the last few yeasties to drop out. I'm entering this into a competition and would like to get away without using finings if possible. :mug: LB

They come in vac pac pouches from my supplier so are always tight packed like that! :)

Just transfered into secondary to get the last few yeasties to drop out. I'm entering this into a competition and would like to get away without using finings if possible. :mug: LB

i think the 'something else' he refers to comes in pouches from suppliers too lol:p
all jokes aside they are good pics

Back