Bad seal on Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nlpavalko

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently bottled a batch of Brewer's Best English Bitter Ale, and the majority of bottles I have had were not fully sealed, so they are flat.

I use one of the standard kit cappers -- like this http://mountainhomebrew.com/browseproducts/Bottle-Capper-Hand-Model.html

And the caps that came with the BB kit.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Could my capper be bad?

Did you use screw top bottles?

Where did you get your caps?

I assume you used a wing capper?

I started double crimping my bottles (crimp, rotate 90 deg crimp again) when I noticed my wing capper left a few spots un crimped... I now use a Agata bench capper and have no issue with a great seal

Curious how you know your caps weren't sealed. How long did you wait to check the bottles?

@E Marquez -- I used the capper linked above. Not sure if that is called a wing capper?

I did not use screw-top caps.

@Hello -- I know they are not sealed because I have had a half dozen or so since I bottled two weeks ago and all but one was uncarbonated.

I did add priming sugars because one was very over-carbonated.

You need to wait at least 2 to 3 weeks to try bottle conditioned beer as it won't be ready until then. One way to tell if the bottles aren't sealed is to turn one upside down. If it leaks then yes it isn't sealed. I am going to reverberate the question above and ask how/when you added the priming sugar in? It's possible it didn't get evenly distributed.

@E Marquez -- I used the capper linked above. Not sure if that is called a wing capper?
It is in the circles I've been around.. Works ok when it works ok.. but apparently get worse with age and use..
No idea.. I switched to a desk top capper for ease of use more then failure to seal caps.

I did not use screw-top caps.
Ahh, ok, but the question was bottles... not caps.. maybe thats what you meant?

I did add priming sugars because one was very over-carbonated.

What type of sugar? How much? what was the beer volume in the bottling bucket? and how did you add/ mix priming sugar and beer before bottling?

If you have a plastic tub or bucket, store your bottles upside down in that,,, let um sit a few days.. if they are building carb, but leaking, you'll know for sure in a few days.

Back