Bad fresh vanlla beans,off smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
For those that have used fresh Vanilla.my wife just ordered fresh vanilla beans online.We've never had/bought them before.They came in a vacuum bag.They smell almost like electric.Like when you use blender or vacuum (If you know what I mean) There dark brown and pliable with no mold.Looking online reviews of fresh vanilla say they smell like awesome vanilla.These smell almost toxic.Is this normal? We're only used to that vanilla extract in a bottle smell

That doesn't sound normal. When I have gotten them they smell great. Sounds like you got some bad ones.

If a vanilla bean smells like ozone, yeah, you got some bad beans, bud. Send 'em back!

If a vanilla bean smells like ozone, yeah, you got some bad beans, bud. Send 'em back!
Thank you for the ozone comparison.I looked it up and that's it

Best Answer: It smells like sparks. Old time amusement parks had electric bumper cars, and ozone always hung heavy in the air around them. If you really want to know, you could take a small battery (NOT a car battery!) and sacrifice it by taking a wire and short-circuiting between the terminals to make sparks. Again, use something small, like a 9 volt battery, it's dangerous to short large batteries.

pegminer · 7 years ago

Yeah - for those that don't know what an ozone-smell is, think about using an old appliance like a blender or mixer that is getting over-worked.

THAT smell.

*thumbsup*

Yeah - for those that don't know what an ozone-smell is, think about using an old appliance like a blender or mixer that is getting over-worked.

THAT smell.

*thumbsup*
Or an old copy machine... they produced a lot of ozone from the corona wires, to the point that they contain charcol "ozone filters"

Back