bad first saison in new herms, but yeast keeps cranking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfgrass

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t know what the OG was, but my Tilt Hydrameter has been reporting back since day 1. The first know reading that I saw was 1.039 and the krausen was pushing up and over the open top for about hours. I then switched to a blow off tube when there was some settling. Fermentation has been going strong for 7 days now with a reported gravity of .998. Not sure if that right, but it seems to be holding there even though there is still some light activity in the carboy. I did make starter, bc the White Labs 565 Belgian 1 yeast pack had just expired. What do you think?

Did you re calibrate your tilt? For the most part it should waiver to much but one batch i went to re calibrate and it was WAY off. Very handy tool but you have to keep up on the calibration like any other tool.

I calibrated before dropping into carboy, however, does it always say (uncal) above the reading? Temperature has been right on, but reading 77 since moving up to 76 degrees from 75.

Attachments

• 37206442-26FF-4603-B9B8-BD0F3C9DDC94.png
    37206442-26FF-4603-B9B8-BD0F3C9DDC94.png
    162 KB · Views: 31
the Uncal is the original calibration. I think its there for back up purposes such as you may have calibrated it in non distilled water or something like that. Nothing you need to worry about.
If it hasnt changed at all then you fermentation is most likely complete then and extreme dry like BRUT dry if it's below 1.000.

the Uncal is the original calibration. I think its there for back up purposes such as you may have calibrated it in non distilled water or something like that. Nothing you need to worry about.
If it hasnt changed at all then you fermentation is most likely complete then and extreme dry like BRUT dry if it's below 1.000.
Yeah, I did use some dextrose which may have been the reason for the dryness. The FG was high according to the brewing software.

Back