Backsweeten stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombeque

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I brewed a recipe on here. It was a Russian Imperial Stout, won first place in HBT competition. So I decided to give it a shot. The OG stated about 1.095, I got 1.100, so not too bad. The FG of the recipe was around 1.028. So I thought it would be a nice strong slightly sweet stout. I checked mine after 5 days fermenting and it was 1.022! Was still bubbling every 30 or so seconds too. I calculated the abv then at 10.24%. Now Im not complaining but is there such thing as add a bit of lactose to get it closer to the FG of the recipe?? Or should I just leave it? I used WLP002 starter and threw in another vial of that just to make sure I had enough yeast cells...guess I did!

Dont know yet...I did try it the other day, but had hopps n yeast ect, tasted good though. Very alcoholic, but not estery. Havent tried it since it stopped bubbling though. Probably attenuated even more, thats why I asked about the lactose.

Your going to have to let this condition for 6 months, maybe more. I know you don't want to tie up your fermenter for that long so when FG stabilizes bottle it and stick it in your closet. and of course give it a taste.

I know it would be a long time. The original poster said that it tasted good at 3 months, but said it was amazing a 6. I plan to rack to secondary after a month and let it bulk age. It did settle out at 1.022. 10.24% Im happy. The sample I took yesterday tasted like stout but very alcoholy...if thats a word.

Back