backsweeten chocolate cherry port?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unferth

Reaction score
I have a cherry port that is ready to be bottled; its been in the carboy for a year and is finally very clear. (note: cocau powder takes much time to clear)

per style variation, I poured a couple pints of brandy when the wine got to a sweet level (1.020), along with a couple camden tablets, and did not see fermentation activity for the rest of the year. I didn't really taste it much either; honestly it tasted like hell for a while.

Now, somehow, it is at .998 and is dry and somewhat tart, though the est. 19% abv is hidden rather well.

I'm curious whether I should backsweeten before bottling or bottle as is; I have the suspicion it might age into a fabulous dry red.

I really kind of wanted a dessert port, though, to give away as presents in nice little bottles and occasionally have after dinner.

So, should I backsweeten? and if so, with what and how much?

I've backsweetened other wines, but only with reserved juice with some Dextrose mixed in. I have no reserved juice for this one and would be mighty hard pressed to replicate the original must.

So since even after adding the brandy at 1.020 it continued to ferment I would be sure to stabilize with sorbate plus a new dose of k-meta (assuming last k-meta has been at least 90 days prior) prior to backsweetening. A simple syrup made by actually warming a bit of your port plus granulated sugar and dissolving it is all you need.

I would learn toward bottling some where it is now, plus backsweetening some. Just be aware the bit you backsweeten may need one final racking, since it almost always triggers some lees fallout...so wait 10-14 days after sweetening it up before you bottle that bit, if you can.

Thanks.

Will warming up the brandy release pectin? I used an enzyme way back when, but it seems like it would make the wine cloudy.

Back