B. Nektar Zombie Killer Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I couldn’t wait and pulled a sample for hydrometer reading this finished out at 1.012 from 1.053 at two weeks and the sample tasted AWESOME putting it at a 5.38%. If I was supposed to wait longer I’m sorry I just couldn’t. I felt like it was in right spot with just enough residual sugar to actually still remain pretty sweet tasting so I autosiphened about 4.75 gallons into the keg and it was coming out pretty shockingly clear even without cold crashing. I added about 2tsp of k-sorbate and 2.5 tabs of campden tablets to make sure this thing doesn’t kick back up. I then topped off with about 23oz of the tart cherry juice and a couple ounces of the honey dissolved into the warmed up juice. Got it carbonating now after shaking the hell out of it all to get it good and mixed and dissolved. Force carbonating at 30psi for about a day or two now and I’ll post back to y’all with updates then.

Hey guys. I've been making clones of this for years- almost always have some version of it on tap. I thought I'd share my recipe as i feel i have it down.

Ingredients:

-Cider house select kit: apple flavor (Brewer's Best Cider House Select Apple Cider Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LV42VEC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_dcjoEbN4D1GPW)

-4 lbs wildflower honey

-16 oz tart cherry concentrate juice (king orchards montmorency).

OG 1.050

FG 1.000

I like using the cider house kit because it comes with pectic acid, finings, cider yeast, and Apple flavoring; although I'm sure you could roll your own for cheaper. I do not use the sweetener pack that comes with it.

Directions:

1) Mix apple cider concentrate from kit, 2lbs honey, and pectic enzyme into large pot. Heat honey in microwave or hot water bath so it pours and dissolves easily. Heat pot on low until it all dissolves. Do not boil. Once dissolved, pour to fermenter. Pitch yeast once temp drops to 80 deg. Let ferment at temps 65-75 deg.

2) Once reaches FG after 1-2 weeks, I add to keg. Then to the keg I add stabilizer (sodium metabifsulfite and potassium sorbate), finings, 2 lbs honey (heated), and cherry concentrate. Usually, I dissolve the heated honey into about a gallon of the mead separately in another pot (that I heat on low to help dissolve), then add back to keg. You can add to a secondary if you want.... Would add mead and finings then give it a chance to clear, then keg with the rest. I don't think this is needed though.

3) carb at keg at 25-30 psi. Serve at 38 deg F.

----

I have varied it up over the years with different flavored cider kits and different fruit juice concentrates. They're all good- blueberry is another favorite.

Last edited:
I added about 2tsp of k-sorbate and 2.5 tabs of campden tablets to make sure this thing doesn’t kick back up.

Stopping at 1.012 from 1.053 means fermentation was NOT finished and there was a good amount of yeast still at work. Typically sorbate/sulfite during an active ferment doesn't work. At least you're using a keg so if it continues to ferment you don't get bottle bombs. The cold will help slow it down too.

It definitely looked done. And the yeast cake at the bottom was settled out. There’s no way anything more active was going on to the point I was gonna get any more activity out of waiting another week. Plus with how crystal clear this stuff is there’s no way there’s any active yeast floating around to kick anything off. This stuff is freaking deliciously close. I got another 5 gallons going as we speak.
IMG_0360.JPG

Latest posts

Back