B Brite and Rinsing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyrmwood

Reaction score
I've been using B Brite, and according to the instructions, you add 1tbsp per gallon to warm water and rinse with cold water. I've been following those instructions, but I've come across mentions of tap water not being suitable without boiling.

Should I stop rinsing or should I boil water specifically for rinsing? Or should I not worry about it since the water is fine to drink?

from what I see, B Brite is listed as a cleanser.

it probably does sanitize with a long contact time, but its not a no rinse sanitizer regardless.

so the 'safe' way to rinse is using boiled and cooled tap water. or switch to Star-san or another true no-rinse sanitizer.

from what I see, B Brite is listed as a cleanser.

it probably does sanitize with a long contact time, but its not a no rinse sanitizer regardless.
I think the label says 2 minutes. EDIT: The label reads "Dissolve one tablespoon of B-Brite per gallon of warm water. Wash equipment with B-Brite solution and then rinse with clear, cold water. Cleans with active oxygen. Does not contain chlorine or bisulfite. Effectively removes beer-stone and other fermentation residues. " I think the longer times are suggested for cleaning (see Norther Brewer's description).

so the 'safe' way to rinse is using boiled and cooled tap water. or switch to Star-san or another true no-rinse sanitizer.
Yeah, star-san is a little cheaper, ~$0.10/gallon versus ~$0.13/gallon, so perhaps I'll give that a try.

Do people boil the top up water they add to their beer? Seems like it would be the same issue.

Back