Awesome Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, this (by no secret), is my favorite style.

I FREAKIN LOVE HAVING DRAFT BEER AT MY BAR. AND MY NEW HEFEWEIZEN IS THE BEST DA@#NED THING I've had in a very long time. :drunk:

I had 11 gallons of hefeweizen from the fermentor. I kegged 10, bottled 1.

I've had 5 drafts since, and a friend has had 3.

I love homebrewing, and more, I love having hefeweizen on tap.

so, I've posted all grain recipes for hefeweizen in the past, so here's my latest creation to share:

Germantown Hefeweissbier 10 gallons

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-A German Wheat and Rye Beer, Weizen/Weissbier

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 8 Max IBU: 15
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 8 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 10.00 Wort Size (Gal): 10.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 20.00
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.85
Anticipated SRM: 3.5
Anticipated IBU: 14.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 11.76 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.048 SG 11.86 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50.0 10.00 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
50.0 10.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole 4.75 13.9 45 min.
0.25 oz. Hallertau Hersbrucker Whole 4.75 0.7 15 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale

Water Profile
-------------

Profile: Munich
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 76.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 18.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 1.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 10.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 2.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 152.0 ppm

pH: 8.33

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name: 2 step infusion mash

Total Grain Lbs: 20.00
Total Water Qts: 20.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 5.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.00
Grain Temp: 70.00 F

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
protein rest 5 30 122 122 Infuse 132 20.00 1.00
conversion rest 5 45 152 152 Infuse 210 12.41 1.62
mash out 5 10 167 167 Direct --- ------- ----

Total Water Qts: 32.41 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 8.10 - After Additional Infusions
Total Mash Volume Gal: 9.70 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
All infusion amounts are in Quarts.
All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

I've been mulling the idea of brewing a Hefeweizen so it is nice to see your recipe. It is very strait forward ans simple. Is that all there really is to a good Hefe?

yep. Keep it simple. I have another recipe that is a little different (65% wheat), but it's still a 2 malt recipe. Your mash and sparge are important when doing this style. I always employ a protein rest, and do a nice, long sparge (this one sparged for 1.5 hours).

This hefeweizen has great phenolic characters and banana notes. If I could find a good commercial example, I would say mine is somewhere between Paulaner and Koenig Ludwig Weiss.

:mug:

I should also note that at 50% wheat, this is still very much a Bavarian Weiß in flavor and character.

Also, at 50%, I didn't have a massively stuck sparge like I had on my other attempt using 65% wheat.

I agree about keeping it simple. I'm not a big fan of the wheat beers with spices and what not added to it.

I've been contemplating a wheat beer for springtime. Might be something good and simple to brew in February, when 10 below weather argues for doing an extract batch indoors.

Biermann makes some awsome Weissbiers. He helped me get started on mine. Here's my variation of a receipe he gave me.

7# German Red Wheat
4# German Pils
0.5# rice hulls
.75 oz Hallertau 45 min.
.25 oz Hallertau 15 min
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan

I ferement 2 weeks in a plastic primary and then keg.

Hmmm Good at 5.6% abv.

FrirstHefe.jpg

I'm new to this forum, and have searched around a bit, but having trouble finding the recipe that I'm really after. My favorite, ABSOLUTE favorite beer is a German beer call Franziskaner Heffe-weisse. It has that distinctive clove/banana aroma and taste, and I enjoy the flavor year-round. I'd like to try to make something close to this beer, with an ALL EXTRACT method, since I haven't brewed in over 14 years. I still have my primary fermentor, SG tester, etc., and I'm on just about over the fence with buying the corny keg equipment so I can keep the good stuff on tap (and also avoid the bottle process which I really hated). Can anyone here share a detailed recipe, step by step (or maybe scan in and post a pdf of notebook entry)? Thanks, can't wait to get started. Tips with making this work well with kegging would be a big plus (secondary in the keg or in a carboy and rack to keg?, things like that). -Lou

I too am a huge fan of the Heffe style of beer. My first all grain recipie was 70% wheat and 30% Pilsner. I too used the Halletauer hops in a similar %. I love the beer and I am thinking of trying a new yeat next time. I used Wyeast 3638 in my batch.

the_bird said:
I've been contemplating a wheat beer for springtime. Might be something good and simple to brew in February, when 10 below weather argues for doing an extract batch indoors.

.75 oz Hallertau @ 60
.25 oz hallertau @ 10
6 pounds WDME @ 10

Wyeast 3638.

Bingo, bango, gold.

I just have my extract recipe, but this one is a bit of a tweak on the traditional:

2lbs. Light DME
4lbs. Wheat DME

2lbs. Caramel/Crystal (10L)
.5lbs. CaraPils(just for **** and grins!)

.5oz. Hallertauer@60mins.
2oz. Cascade@30mins.
.5oz. Hallertauer@15mins.

WYeast#1010 American Wheat

If you like Cascades, this is the Weizen for you...or if you think you don't like traditionals, and I'm looking at you BP...

Hope you try it or maybe convert it to AG.

:mug:

regarding Cheesefoods recipe: 10 minutes for the DME - does i ever hit a "hot break"? Do you start boiling even a cup of the DME when you are boiling the hops?
I have WLP300 yeast, 10z hallertau pellets, and 6 lb DME (half of it Wheat, half extra light) - should be brewing tonight, starter should be ready.

Thinking of using a portion of the starter for a batch of "apfelwein" just to see how the hefe strain does with the clove/banana fruitiness andd 75% attenuation to retain some sweetness in the cider...

What's the best temp to ferment hefeweizen? I understand that the clove/banana taste is created when the yeast ferments at higher temps. My kitchen is right at 68-70 degrees. Will this be high enough? I'm using Wyeast Weihenstephan. Their website states a temp range of 64-75 deg F but I'm wondering what the optimal range is.

I got the itch to try a dunkelweizen for the cold weather and I have this rockin' away in the primary now:http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=5393

0.25 lbs. Belgian Caravienne
0.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 60°L
0.125 lbs. Honey Malt
5.75 lbs. Muntons Dry Wheat
1 oz. Hallertau Hersbruck (Pellets, 3.8 %AA) boiled 60 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP300 Hefewizen Ale

Steep grains for 20 min at 150F.
Primary 7 days.
Secondary 10 days.
Bottle with 1.25 cups wheat DME.

Well, my hefe's been in the carboy primary for 14 days ( a few extra due to travel awy all last week). Time to rack to keg. Thinking I will force carbonate it, any thoughts?

By the way, the apfelwein/cider I made using the hefe yeast came out decent. I just used apple juice from BJ's Wholesale, and made about 1.5 gallon batch, with no added sugar. The original gravity was 1.048, pretty much identical to the og of my hefe. I fermented it at a bit warmer temp - about 74F wheras the hefe was fermented around 66-70F. Final gravity of the cider was 1.000 and it tasted pretty simple and fairly dry prior to carbonation, is decently clear, and has a nice nose, not really picking up on the banana/clove smell that I thought might come through from the hefe yeast strain. In all a decent experiment and definitely drinkable.

Latest posts

Back