Avoiding malt flavour in a IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
While I know it's personnal preference, what base malt and specialty grains should be avoided or favored in order to keep the malt taste really low ?

By example, which crystal should be selected? Or should they be replaced by belgian caravienna for a bit of color ?

Does wheat tends to mute the malt a bit?

Ever try no crystal and just a little victory or biscuit instead for a bready hint? I'm starting to get to where I can't stand any crystal in IPAs.

I found a great article by Mitch Steele called 5 Tips on Brewing IPAs from Mitch Steele. He says, as rule 1 :

Keep the crystal malts to a minimum (5% or less). Use Munich malt or some other lightly-roasted malt if you want more color.

He doesn't says if it's about inducing less malt flavor tough.

If I got it right Heady topper and most Hill Farmstead have slight to no malt flavor in there APA / IPA.

Ever try no crystal and just a little victory or biscuit instead for a bready hint? I'm starting to get to where I can't stand any crystal in IPAs.

No. Wondering what would be the difference between that and Vienna.

if you want to keep the base malt to a minimum you should use two row and really nothing else. you could also cut the two row with pils or go almost all pils.

Latest posts

Back