Avogadro's Expeditious Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engelramm

Reaction score
Has anyone made this recipe from Papazian's The Complete Joy of Homebrewing?

It uses Muntons Old Ale kit (2 cans) and the label on the can says DO NOT USE PRIMING SUGAR, but Papazian's recipe says to pime with corn sugar.

I've got a couple of weeks before it is time to bottle as the batch is happily bubbling away in the Primary for the 5th day. I plan to rack it to the Secondary for a couple weeks before bottling.

I just thought I'd ask. Maybe I should have read the label on the cans before I brewed. :cross:

I don't know why the can would say that unless it means that they don't recommend using priming sugar to increase the gravity of the wort. I know that some can-based recipes do call for sugar additions. You will need to add priming sugar at bottling if you want the beer to be carbonated in the bottle.

I made the Munton's Old Ale years ago when I first started brewing. I think the reason for not using priming sugar was because Old Ales are supposed to be lightly carbonated. I remember it being a very good beer.

Thanks for the replies.

dantodd said:
I don't know why the can would say that unless it means that they don't recommend using priming sugar to increase the gravity of the wort. I know that some can-based recipes do call for sugar additions. You will need to add priming sugar at bottling if you want the beer to be carbonated in the bottle.
The recipe was just 2 cans of the hopped extract and .5 oz Cascade at 1 min. for aroma. I don't remember the exact wording on the can about priming sugar, but it was refering to carbonation. I just remember that it was in all CAPS.
I think might boil up a bit of DME for priming, but not nearly as much as I usually use. Maybe, .5 cup or so.

alemonkey said:
I made the Munton's Old Ale years ago when I first started brewing. I think the reason for not using priming sugar was because Old Ales are supposed to be lightly carbonated. I remember it being a very good beer.
I'm glad to hear that the recipe is good. It smelled great in the pot.

Thanks again!

Whoa, that's weird....it switched our quotes. FWIW, I followed the directions and didn't use priming sugar - I thought it was just right, but it did need to carbonate longer than usual before it was ready to drink.

alemonkey said:
Whoa, that's weird....it switched our quotes. FWIW, I followed the directions and didn't use priming sugar - I thought it was just right, but it did need to carbonate longer than usual before it was ready to drink.
Oops, sorry about that. I quoted by hand and I guess I got the names mixed up. I fixed it in my post above.
Thanks again for the advice. Maybe I won't add any sugar to prime.

Back