averaging 46-48 bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
I have yet to get a 50 bottle batch... does that mean my 5-gal marker on my carboy is wrong (I wish carboys had markings on them, I estimated it myself by filling it and pouring 1 gallon out roughly).

The weird thing is my FG's are usually right on, and my OG's are usually light (I partial boil, and am told getting an accurate measurement is really hard due to the water not being mixed well when it first goes in the fermenter). However, my last batch I had the OG and FG that the recipe had... still ended up with 46 bottles.

There's usually a lot of trub at the bottom of my fermenter, and maybe a half beer left in the bottling bucket unless i work hard to tip it all the way...

Just curious.

I only have one bottling under my belt, but I didn't get what I was supossed to either. I ended with 22 20oz bottles, four 12 oz and one that was 1/2 full (dumped it-I don't like still beer).

Bill

you will have some loss in the process. from racking to secondary to loss in the bucket and minor spillage.

Trub(depending on your process) could accout for that much loss easy. I offset with a little extra dme and water for the loss. Calculate with beersmith for 5.3 gal

you will have some loss in the process. from racking to secondary to loss in the bucket and minor spillage.

Yes all of these are true statements !

in your fermenter you will leave several quarts behind because of the yeast, proteins, & hops, this mess is called TRUB , it is all a normal process of home brewing.
2387070629_65da8e26cf.jpg

WIKI SEARCH TRUB

Congrats on getting two full cases out of a 5 gal batch !
all this means is that you will have to brew a bit more to make up for the loss (that is what I told my SWMBO, and it worked until she started brewing)

-Jason

Yea, I've ended up with around 40-44 bottles for my first couple of 5 gallon batches. I'm trying to squeeze a little more out, but am just not sure if its worth it getting that extra bit of sludge...

I think that your numbers are pretty good.

I only have one bottling under my belt, but I didn't get what I was supossed to either. I ended with 22 20oz bottles, four 12 oz and one that was 1/2 full (dumped it-I don't like still beer).

Bill

You can cap the 1/2 full one. Drink it first out of the batch to see how the beer is doing.

5.25 to 5.5 will get me 48-53 depending on trub and loss when racking. Last 3 brews I topped off to 5.25 and have gotten about 52 beers.

So you are a few beers behind what is expected, no big deal. I always get 42 12oz bottles and 1 22 oz bottle, I'm fairly happy with it as it gives me an extra 6 pack to give away.

... (I wish carboys had markings on them, I estimated it myself by filling it and pouring 1 gallon out roughly).

I was in the same boat, until....I went out to a local hobby/craft store and bought some glass etching paste. With some masking tape, I marked off 6- 1 gal marks. Pour in 1 gal of water, mark with tape, repeat 5 more times (6.5 gal carboy) Now I know how close I am to my desired volume. Just one of those "nice-to-have" things

Are you taking weekly gravity readings, and then drinking them, as a batch ferments/conditions?

Pogo

There are many tips in Revvy et al bottling guide thread. My personal favorite is on page 15.

I saw it somewhere on here, but can't find it now. Anyway, I just bought an elbow piece that screws directly to the spigot in my bottling bucket. You can get more beer in the bottle with this method.

:mug:

There are many tips in Revvy et al bottling guide thread. My personal favorite is on page 15.

I saw it somewhere on here, but can't find it now. Anyway, I just bought an elbow piece that screws directly to the spigot in my bottling bucket. You can get more beer in the bottle with this method.

:mug:

This is called a "diptube." I made one a week ago with a PVC elbow I bought from HD for $2.50. I used it yesterday actually--I'd say I lost about 1 "sip" of beer in my bottling bucket... Search "PVC" on that thread--someone showed how to do it (I'm not that inventive myself).:D

Edit-the PVC piece I used was just a single elbow (I didn't have to join multiple parts) that hits the bottom of the bucket. I had to sand the PVC piece down a hair to make it fit. I then drilled a few VERY small holes near the very bottom of the tube, so that it pulls the beer from the absolute bottom of the bucket...

Back