Automation Start Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneManBrewery

Reaction score
My New Years Resolution is to bring my 3 Tier stand into the future. I'm upgrading from a Rubbermaid cooler to a HERMS. I haven't decided on my controller yet, but I know I want more then just 2 Temp Controllers. I've done some research on the BCS-460 and JonW's build with it is inspirational. Then I found the Elco's BrewPi Spark which didn't help things but it's still in production with limited info ... so I'm stuck. Anybody have any suggestions?

As for the rest of my build, I've started this Fall by adding a Honeywell Smart Valve with Pilot Burner to my propane system which works exceptionally well for those looking for a valve. The picture below is me trying it out with my Ranco from my Keezer before installing it.

I have a pump on the way from Brew Hardware with their genius add-a-pump kit. And the fittings for my HLT Keggle build. Happy 2015 everybody.

20141113_115009.jpg

Got my pump from Brew Hardware with the Add a pump kit, everything looks great, would purchase agin. Mounted the pump to my stand using 1/4" Tap instead of bolting it and bent a piece of aluminum to make a housing for the pump. I have been working on and off trying to get my Keggle shiny, looks a whole lot better but I doubt I'll get (nor do I need) that mirror finish. Installed the weldless ball valve/dip tube from Brew Hardware as well, and man is it Solid! Added a piece of diamond plate which will hold my control panel.

I know its been said somewhere in the forum, but I must reiterate DO NOT try to make your own HERMS Coil... I don't want to talk about it... Know of any reasonably priced HERMS coils?

Anyway I'm on the fence about going with the BCS or trying the Spark. Any suggestions?

20150106_152404.jpg

20150106_153031.jpg

20150106_184543.jpg

I'm envious, dude. I am starting all the research and planning that goes into building an automated system. My head is swimming, but the picture is becoming clearer. Soon I'll start collecting parts and that's when the real fun will begin. Good luck with your build!

-ben

Good to hear because I just ordered one from there. Can't wait to see the result.

Thanks Hou, you're going the right path, I started my research this summer and just now fully dedicated to the build.

I want to try something different, so I'm going with the Spark. Got some other random control panel parts on order. Need to start working on a wiring schematic.

Been awhile, but I made some progress. Got my HERMS coil from Stainless Brewing, great product. Do NOT try to make one, let those guys make one for you. You won't be disappointed. Anyway drilled the holes for the coil in my HLT keggle so it's ready to be installed.

Got my control panel ready to go, all it needs is to be wired. Still working on a wiring schematic for that, so somebody can double check me. Hope to order my BrewPi Spark soon.

20150125_153756.jpg

20150125_153741.jpg

20150125_153817.jpg

I am no electrician, but using some wiring diagrams I have found from PJ and others, I came up with this. ----Edited Version----

Wiring Diagram2.jpg

What temp probes are you using? If thermocouple I wouldn't use RJ45 connectors, they make special connectors for thermocouples.

What did you request for your HERMS coil? OD and length..and I assume two 90 degree bends?

Coiled to customer's request .035 304/304L Coiled Tubing
Size and length: 1/2"0D X 25FT -
Diameter of Coil: 14"
Additional bends: 2 Horizontal 90 bends

They are Temp probes from the BrewPi store, they're RJ11/12, but I hope to retrofit to RJ45 so they'll fit with my Panel Mounts.

I went with the 10" 2 horizontal bends 1/2" OD x25FT, Fits perfectly in my Keggle.

It's been awhile, but I've made progress. Got my Brewpi Spark and RPi a week ago and got the BrewPi Web interface functioning on the RPi. It will be amazing to see how Elco and team develop the Spark and software over the next few months. Glad to be a part of this!

It's alive!

20150318_152607.jpg

Are your power connections Powercon or Speakeron? (didn't realize Powercon are that small if that's what they are - going same route but haven't ordered yet)

Todd

Are your power connections Powercon or Speakeron? (didn't realize Powercon are that small if that's what they are - going same route but haven't ordered yet)

Todd
The Powercon connections are great, they're smaller and more cost effective over the flanged outlets. When wiring you have to find female connectors smaller then 1/4" because the housing around the terminal is too small. RadioShack had some 3/16" that worked. I'm also using the Ethercon for my temperature probes as well.

Todd

Just as an FYI the 32a powercon from Neutrik are about twice the size of the one's above, in case you're thinking of using them for your elements.

Well I finally got everything ready to test out my pump... I got a lemon. After making sure the head was full of water, I turned it on and it just made a buzzing noise. No fan, no nothing. Called Chugger and we troubleshooted it but it was hopeless. Thanks to Bobby at Brew Hardware, I had a new pump (which works) in 2 days. Even finding the lemon I recommend the guys at Chugger and Bobby.

I'm envious, dude. I am starting all the research and planning that goes into building an automated system. My head is swimming, but the picture is becoming clearer. Soon I'll start collecting parts and that's when the real fun will begin. Good luck with your build!

-ben

Yup... Being a non-techy dude.... I get lost with all the new shiney things... Hoping this thread will show me some direction on planning my built.

I want this... No.... I want that ...... Aaaauuugggghhhhhh!!!!!!

Tried out the BrewPi using it to heat 5 gallons of water with the Honeywell SmartValve. I did not recirculate at this time. I over shot by 3 degrees the first time and when it cooled and fired again, it overshot by 5. Progress.

Test1.jpg

Test2.jpg

Graph.jpg

Great idea for weldless. I'm looking to add a larger BK and retire my keggle. I have to use over 12 gallons to completely submerge my HERMS coil... and heating it to 165 degrees is incredibly time consuming especially when I only need 1/3 of that volume to Sparge with. Just weighing my options...

OneMan, you are actually moving ahead at a good pace here. I'm just starting to research this level of automation and am very interested. Please continue to share.

I have to fill my keggle with about 9 gallons to submerge my Herms coil as well. I wind up using the extra water to thoroughly clean the coil after vorlof.

To cut down on the time it takes to heat that quantity I trickle from the HLT to the BK while Mash is underway. This way I'm leveraging both Banjos.

Finally brewed on Stand 2.0.

I forgot to post here what all I did to my stand. Well I completely changed the gas plumbing and added 2 BG14 burners. The system is still low pressure. My stem casters were starting to wobble, so I scrapped them and welded some bigger ones on. Had some left over paint from when I painted the stand the first time, so I repainted and it looks much better.

Brew Day! I felt it went well, I feel like my efficiency was a little lower then I expected but I'll have to calculate it out when I have some time. The BG14s decreased wait time considerably. 45 Minutes to get 11 gallons to 164 degrees.

The first picture is the mash through the HERMS. BrewPi is still an update away from Mash Control but it performed well thinking it was controlling a fridge. The "Beer" is the temp probe in the HLT and "Fridge" is the temp probe just above the pump outlet. 164 degrees in the HLT gave me a near constant 154 degrees in the Mash Tun. Also my first brew that only comes in contact with stainless or silicon from beginning to end. Can't wait to drink the finished product!

20150616_135923.jpg

20150616_140103.jpg

20150616_135854.jpg

20150616_150433.jpg

Back