Automating Hop and Adjunct additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I have built anything for some time I have a GF now, it's a competent system but simply less fun than my own efforts as a result I'm again thinking about building a 'thing'.

I'd probably use CBPi to control it as it's well supported and I have a Pi to hand.

The Countertop Burtus20 (my first brewery) seems a good place to start and simple enough to modify until I get to the Hop and Adjunct additions.

The options seem to be :-

Drop cages of hops into the boil which is simply untidy and more difficult if I'm adding Candy Syrup which would need mixing.
A flow through system like the Picobrew or Minibrew, I like this as an idea but I don't know how they did it. Unless they used lots of valves and pumps.

If you have built a system with automated additions I'd appreciate it if you would be willing to share your design.

Many Thanks. Aamcle

Nice very shiny, don't you get boil.overs?

any more

Aamcle

Ok, I the UK that to e collection of shiny would cost a fortune.

I have built anything for some time I have a GF now, it's a competent system but simply less fun than my own efforts as a result I'm again thinking about building a 'thing'.

If you have built a system with automated additions I'd appreciate it if you would be willing to share your design.
Many Thanks. Aamcle
Not as shiny as the hop dispenser from Die Beerery but way older than him.:ban:
20191230_113952.jpg
Hop_Dispenser_1 (16).jpg

Bk that's a good idea, I had been thinking of using some sort of "tray/container" as I would expect the boiler end of a ramp to get damp with condensation and for hop fragments to build up there.

Other thing to think about too is just like automated lifting of a trash can if you lift near the base then when you get to the end of the range of motion there will be some shaking effect just due to the servo reaching it's end-stop abruptly. That's a good thing.
Also you could play around with making the trays not "level" when in the retracted position. This could have a variety of benefits such as affecting the final configuration angle and enabing the hop container to gently tap on the rim of the pot.
Good luck!

I was feeling inadequate. So I made a modular extensions for my tubes. Now they can hold 8oz and the last tube for late hopping can hold 16oz. For a total of 64oz. Phew, I feel better now.

Adjustments.jpg

There you go! Lol. Do the cups get condensation in them during the boil? I’m thinking for things like whirlfloc, brewtan, sugars that might be added near end of the boil.

I was feeling inadequate. So I made a modular extensions for my tubes. Now they can hold 8oz and the last tube for late hopping can hold 16oz. For a total of 64oz. Phew, I feel better now.

View attachment 660195
Fantastic! I have a Brew Boss Hops Feeder which looks like the same here so I am assuming the cup sizes are the same. Where did you get the clear plastic tubes that fit so neatly inside and can I get some, too?

Back