Auto Syphon with hop bag ... stressful bubbling issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbrook

Reaction score
Hi..

Please can you guys let me know the best way to stop the bubbling when using an auto syphon with mesh bag tied on the end. I never have this problem when not using the mesh bag, but the beers I'm making are dry hopped so its necessary.
My last IPA syphoning experience was a disaster!. Started fine but as soon as I got to 2 gallons left in the FB, the bubbling started and at one point there was more air coming up that tube than beer!.
I've checked my seals on the cane and tube and all seems fine, the bubbles start at the bottom where the mesh bag is tied on,.
I am making a Festival Razorback IPA and used the supplied mesh bag as instructed.
If there is a better way to rack to my bottling bucket I would like to know about it... as last time was stressful.. some have said a different type of mesh bag is a good place to start, but I hope some of you guys have good experience in this problem so i won't have to experiment at bottling time.
any help with be very gratefully received!

Instead of a hop bag over the pickup end of the auto-siphon, try lining your receiving vessel (e.g. bottling bucket, keg) with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag and rack into it. When you're done, gently lift out the paint strainer bag and most of the hop debris will come along with it. This also works well when transferring off of fruit. I ran into the same issue several times with dry hopped beers and fruited beers. As long as you aren't using whole hops or have huge chunks of fruit, everything should pass right through especially with the larger 1/2" auto siphon (although my 3/8" one worked fine for this method too).

P.S. The air is probably at least partly from CO2 being pulled out of solution due to the vacuum formed when siphoning.

Yep. Just racked a mead this weekend and had a similar issue. Siphon actually stopped from the CO2 coming out of solution.

Microbusbrewery, wish I new about this last weekend. I would have less peach debris in my mead.

All the Best,
D. White

Use the catch bag on the out flow end. Here's a picture of mine.

P413resized.jpg

Personally, I DRY HOP in the mesh bag. Given time / cold crashing, any bit of hops will wind up at the bottom of the carboy, and easy racking into my bottling bucket ensues.

Personally, I DRY HOP in the mesh bag. Given time / cold crashing, any bit of hops will wind up at the bottom of the carboy, and easy racking into my bottling bucket ensues.
Seconding this. The 1st time that I dry hopped without using a bag was the last time I'm ever doing that ;)

I too bag my dry hops. Or recently I dry hop in my cylinder directly in the keg.

I use one gallon paint strainer bags. One ounce per bag tied as loosely as possible. I just drop them in the primary and push them under the surface with a sanitized spoon, wait 5-7 days then siphon the beer out. I even gently squeeze out more beer from the hops.

If I am bottling I siphon to the bottling bucket, then gather and sanitize everything. This give time for anything stirred up to settle to the bottom of the bottling bucket.

Back