Auto-siphon and sample thief broken?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellgoats

Reaction score
Pulled my goods out today and realized something, the safety cap from my siphon( top) must have come off in my sample thief (bottom) last time I used it. Anything I can do here? I am willing to destroy one if need be to fix the other. Thanks,

image-2568176159.jpg

It looks like the cap from the racking cane is stuck inside the siphon, is that correct? Mine comes apart rather easily (my racking cane) but my siphon/thief does not. With my limited experience with these items it is difficult for me to diagnose the issue with the limited view of the pic, maybe if we could see the whole tubes or the other ends as well we may be able to diagnose more effectively. But from looking at mine, if you are able to get the safety cap closer to the end of the thief (again looking at mine) you should be able to pull it out with some needle nose pliers or something like that. Good luck, hope you dont have to destroy anything

I know the thief has a little valve in the bottom of it... could you use an untwisted wire hanger and insert it around the valve to get at the stuck piece from the bottom? I've got a feeling you'll have to destroy the thief if this doesn't work... could always try hot water too. I imagine the plastic wall on the thief will expand faster than the stuck piece will and you could possibly get it out that way.

Yes, it's the tip off the racking cane stuck in the thief. Neither come apart easily, I think I'll just get some needle nose and pull it out. If I good up the thief, oh well it's not critical.

Latest posts

Back