Australian varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmance

Reaction score
Hi Just picked up a pound of Vic Secret and 1/2lb of topaz. I am planning on brewing up some juicy hop forward IPA's.

The AA content is higher than i expected 12% ( I didn't bother checking before ordering not that it would have stopped me).

So, Obviously I can dryhop with this. But should I have concern whirlpooling at flameout or safer with a hopstand? what steps should I take to not over do it with bittering!?

Thank you!

Those are both nice hops; Vic Secret provides passionfruit aroma/flavor with notes of red currant and an herbal, thai basil character. Topaz is similar, although much danker.

The watch out with these is they have a very strong impression of bitterness/astringency when used in the boil and they have high polyphenol content for dry hopping. I've used Vic Secret a lot and found I liked it better when used for whirlpool additions and for moderate dry hopping when mixed with similar varieties.

Good feedback Bierhaus, thank you. :mug:

These sound delicious.

So, a 20min whirlpool at flameout should be safe? Or would you recommend dropping temp a little prior to whirlpool addition?

Back