Australian Sparkling Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shameless plug I started fooling with a beer blog and here is my Aussie pale ale recipe. The link says single but it goes to the aussie sparkling. This recipe has won a couple of gold medals recently.

https://keaneshomebrew.com/2017/04/05/trappist-single/

The trick will be sourcing the wlp009 australian yeast you can culture yeast from coopers bottles if you can find those coopers makes a dry yeast you can find here or there. Nottingham may work but I'm not sure it will give you the esters you're looking for.

My LHBS carries a decent WLP variety. I know they carry Pride of Ringwood hops. I'll see if I can get WLP009 there. If not, they're usually willing to place special orders. If I can't get it, I'll probably just make due with Nottingham or WY1098.

Just going on the BYO write-up, I might try the following, mashing at 149F:

87% Pils or pale malt
8% Wheat
5% Medium Crystal
Pride of Ringwood @ 60, 35 IBU
Coopers yeast from bottle dregs

EDIT: looked at your NB recipe and looks pretty close. That small late addition might help.

Just going on the BYO write-up, I might try the following, mashing at 149F:

87% Pils or pale malt
8% Wheat
5% Medium Crystal
Pride of Ringwood @ 60, 35 IBU
Coopers yeast from bottle dregs

EDIT: looked at your NB recipe and looks pretty close. That small late addition might help.

yep I'd drop 5 IBU off your bittering addition and move it late, also note Coopers yeasts is a little fruity, if you go the ale malt I'd also drop 1% off the crystal.

BTW; I'm an Aussie and I mow my own lawns

Another Aussie, but I don't have lawns.

The category is basically written to represent Coopers pale ale and Coopers sparkling ale, which I drank a LOT of in my late teens/early twenties. They are great beers, and I've brewed a few of them.

A lot of the recipes here and elsewhere miss the mark for a representation of the style in that they include too much crystal malt. Jekeane's recipe looks pretty good though (using crystal for colour only).
It is vital to get crazy high attenuation - the beers drink like dry lagers. The coopers bottle yeast (don't use the dry yeast, it's a different (quite neutral) strain) is easily harvested if you can get hold of an in-date bottle. It's quite unique in the esters that it produces, and the high attenuation it gets (make sure you have a blow-off tube). If you go the English yeast route, even the dry English yeast, you won't get the beer dry enough to be a true representation (it might still taste great though). Be careful with Pride of Ringwood hops - mishandled hops can give some strange flavours (woody and metallic). EKG is a safer option (and IMO tastes better).
KEY POINTS:
Very dry (high attenuation)
Yeast flavours are dominant
Highly carbonated

My recipe, that I've brewed a few times with slight changes each time:
Ale malt - 85%
Wheat malt - 8%
Dark crystal - 1% (colour adjustment)
Table sugar - 6%
Aim for an OG of 1.045. Mash at 148F for 90 mins
Hops: Pride of Ringwood or EKG - 1 gram per gallon at 15mins, then enough at 60mins to make 30IBU's in total.
Coopers bottle yeast (I haven't used WLP009 but it's supposed to be coopers). The yeast is critical.

This should finish at about 1.006, giving a beer a bit over 5%ABV.

Hmm... according to beermenus.com, the closest place for me to get Coopers is in Connecticut... 283 miles away.
Anybody interested in mailing me a harvested Cooper's sample?

Hmm... according to beermenus.com, the closest place for me to get Coopers is in Connecticut... 283 miles away.
Anybody interested in mailing me a harvested Cooper's sample?

If you have a whole foods or trader joes near you they can sometimes special order it. Freshness may be an issue though.

If you have a whole foods or trader joes near you they can sometimes special order it. Freshness may be an issue though.
Yeah... I resorted to the Cooper's Dry yeast, which I could get by mail. It may not be as authentic as 009 or harvested Cooper's, but it'll be closer than Nottingham. Close enough for government work.

Shameless plug I started fooling with a beer blog and here is my Aussie pale ale recipe. The link says single but it goes to the aussie sparkling. This recipe has won a couple of gold medals recently.

https://keaneshomebrew.com/2017/04/05/trappist-single/

The trick will be sourcing the wlp009 australian yeast you can culture yeast from coopers bottles if you can find those coopers makes a dry yeast you can find here or there. Nottingham may work but I'm not sure it will give you the esters you're looking for.
I'm surprised/impressed you managed to get such a nice pale color with 30% Munich. The NB kit recipe calls for only Pilsner, White Wheat, and Carapils. I'm shooting for a pale straw color, somewhere around 2-3 SRM. Is that too light? I've got a little Carafa II sitting around and could add a half-ounce or so at sparge for color adjustment, if necessary...

a stickler judge may ding you on color but I would hope they aren't that confident on their ability to discern a 3srm from 4srm.

I think the munich I i used was 5-7 srm and probably was closer to the 5.

the carafa at sparge would work, I'm not sure I would bother with it though.

a stickler judge may ding you on color but I would hope they aren't that confident on their ability to discern a 3srm from 4srm.

I think the munich I i used was 5-7 srm and probably was closer to the 5.

the carafa at sparge would work, I'm not sure I would bother with it though.
It's not going to competition anyway. This is for my own post-lawn-mowing consumption. I'll make sure not to ding myself. :mug:

I *did* end up adding the half-ounce of Carafa at sparge, and I'm glad I did. It's settling into a nice pale gold, maybe 5-6 SRM. Prior to that it was as pale as it gets. Like BMC pale. 1, maybe 2 srm.

The yeast is critical.
Hi, I am homebrewer from Poland. I have a beautifull recall of Cooper's Sparkling Ale since I drank it in Oz. I would love to brew it home. I have an option to get yeasts from Cooper's bottles, but would you please share some tips, how to provide fermentation? What starting temperature, when to rise it and at what level?
I would be very thankfull for some answer.
Thank you

I haven't used it in the past few years so this is all a bit from memory. It was easy to start a culture from the bottle - add about 100mL of 1.030 starter wort to each bottle (sanitise the rim), shake, cover with foil or plastic wrap, and leave somewhere warm for a day or two (swirl the bottle a few times a day to rouse the yeast). Use two of those in a 1L starter, which should be good for 20L of beer. I think I fermented at about 19 degrees Celsius and the character was about right. I'm sure you'll find some more info if you look on the aussie homebrew forum.

Thank you very much for the answer
I'm sure you'll find some more info if you look on the aussie homebrew forum.
I already searched for the informations for last several weeks. I also read almost the whole aussie homebrew forum, already :) But I still find your informations as most precise.
Thank you again.

I consider doing a Australian Sparkling Ale, but don't have access to Pride of Ringwood, EKG is mentioned as a replacement. Elsewhere Fuggles, Clusters and Pacific Jade have been used.

I have a package of Pacific Gem which I don't know how to use. Why not try it in a ASP?

At Aussiehomebrewer forum it looks like a recipe from a user called AndrewQLD seems popular.
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/coopers-pale-ale-clone-hows-it-look.4646/
I've adjusted this since I don't have access to Australian Pale Malt and Pride of Ringwood.
81.2% Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter
16.5% Sugar
2.3% Thomas Fawcett Crystal Wheat

Hops IBU 30
0.6 g/l Pacific Gem
0.4 g/l Pacific Gem

Yeast
WLP 009 Australian Ale (if I can't find this I'll try Lallemand Nottingham/Windsor or S-04)

Any thoughts of this recipe would be appreciated.

Back