Austin this weekend - recomendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resurrecting this, as I'm coming to Austin tomorrow for a couple of days.

Thoughts from the locals on Bangers? It's near Craft Pride, so I was thinking of trying to grab a bite there. Thanks for all the other info here.
Also if you want to visit CP/Banger's and get a bite... there's a moderately-sized food court at Rainey Street with a lot of choices (until they decide to build another damn condo on that lot, which I think is happening later this year).

There's a duck and cherry sausage at Banger's that I really dig. Like the poutine and boiled peanuts if just drinking.

I've been to Austin countless times, but will be back in town in two weeks. Planning to hit up Jester King and Craft Pride. About what time on a Friday does Rainey get super crowded? Thinking of just going straight there at about 5pm after I land.

Usually end up at Black Star at some point during most trips. Anywhere else new that I should try? Always looking for places with dark beers on tap. Not an IPA drinker by any means.

Nice. I will head there about 5pm and get some beers before it gets too crazy. I'll be there for F1 so I'm sure everything will be extra packed. I usually don't fly in so early so I get there late in the evening, drive through and go "nope". Decided to take the day off and fly first thing in the morning this time. Coming from the west coast is a bit of a pain.

dont let ken fool you...

i have a 4 year vert of la muerta but when the 5 year hits its party time...

although you WILL ahve to travel to bastrop so fi you wotn **** you

Unfortunately, the weather for this weekend is looking questionable. What are the best places to drink inside? I feel like I always end up on a patio or picnic table in the dirt when I'm in Austin, no idea what I'm going to do without being outside. Activities of some sort would be good too. Any places with bowling or pool tables or something and actual good beer?

Rainey would still be a good choice imo since all the bars have insides(some albiet are small) and outside sitting isnt a "have to" but if packed, any of the good beer bars will be packed inside and most of them have small insides.

Other places i can think of with inside sitting--
ABGB is has a pretty sizeable inside but the one time i went it was SUPER packed, although that was 1 week removed from opening night.

draughthouse--small inside, always crowded but the tables outside also have ubrellas for a bit of protection.

pinthouse pizza--decent inside seating, usually crowded and loud, but worth it if you havent been.

Uncle Billys brew and que--bbq has always been a bit average(or less depending who you talk to) and the main brewers left to start ABGB AND i havent been back since they did but its another place with covered outside seats and decent inside seating.

Thanks. I will look those up. There is a concert stage being setup on Rainey, so who knows what it's going to be like down there. I was looking forward to going there Friday early evening, but it may be either packed or flooded.

Bringing this thread back from nowhere. What's the deal with visiting breweries like Live Oak or (512) re: Texas laws? From what I can find online, they don't have traditional tap rooms so I can't go to the brewery to get a pour or flight, right? Just double checking in case I missed something.

Bringing this thread back from nowhere. What's the deal with visiting breweries like Live Oak or (512) re: Texas laws? From what I can find online, they don't have traditional tap rooms so I can't go to the brewery to get a pour or flight, right? Just double checking in case I missed something.
So there's nothing stopping (512) from having a tap room.... they honestly just don't have the SPACE to have one. The same was true with Live Oak until they moved to their new brewery (opening later this month).

Off-site sales are still not allowed unless you hold a brewpub license and brew less than 10k barrels per year (20k with 2 locations). Jester King does off-site sales this way.

Nice thread. I'll be in Austin labor day weekend so now I have some good ideas of where to go. We're just starting to look for a place to stay though and probably going with an AirBnB. Any recs on areas that would be good for a group of 7 or 8 friends? A few of us are into beer but most of the group probably just wants to be in an area that has plenty of interesting things to see/do/eat/drink within reasonable walking distance. We're all late 20s to early 30s so not looking for any crazy ragers or college bars. Also, any areas we should avoid?

I'm planning on doing a preorder for Franklin to avoid the line and probably renting a car to hit up JK that Friday. Otherwise, we're all just looking for an enjoyable long weekend filled with meat, tacos, and booze.

Last edited:
Nice thread. I'll be in Austin labor day weekend so now I have some good ideas of where to go. We're just starting to look for a place to stay though and probably going with an AirBnB. Any recs on areas that would be good for a group of 7 or 8 friends? A few of us are into beer but most of the group probably just wants to be in an area that has plenty of interesting things to see/do/eat/drink within reasonable walking distance. We're all late 20s to early 30s so not looking for any crazy ragers or college bars. Also, any areas we should avoid?
I'd look at east side (as well as hitting the bars etc in east 6th) or somewhere on Lamar/South Congress. Rainey is ok, but I wouldn't go there at peak Friday/Saturday evening hours, and of course avoid dirty 6th.

I'd look at east side (as well as hitting the bars etc in east 6th) or somewhere on Lamar/South Congress. Rainey is ok, but I wouldn't go there at peak Friday/Saturday evening hours, and of course avoid dirty 6th.
What's dirty 6th and how dirty is it? Stabby-dirty or catch-something-dirty?

What's dirty 6th and how dirty is it? Stabby-dirty or catch-something-dirty?

Generally that is considered 6th street east of congress all the way to 35. West 6th, west of there, east 6th, east of 35.

A little of both with a side of tourists (especially bachelor/ette or 21st birthday parties) and drunk college kids; you can see drug deals, fist fights, arrests, people puking, a friend doing the needful and carrying their friend who partied too hard, groups getting thrown out of bars, or if you play your cards right, all of the above within one night!

for me its a walk through laughing at, or oogling half dressed girls while avoiding the bums. But id always hit Easy Tiger when im there. (6th)

Generally that is considered 6th street east of congress all the way to 35. West 6th, west of there, east 6th, east of 35.

A little of both with a side of tourists (especially bachelor/ette or 21st birthday parties) and drunk college kids; you can see drug deals, fist fights, arrests, people puking, a friend doing the needful and carrying their friend who partied too hard, groups getting thrown out of bars, or if you play your cards right, all of the above within one night!

for me its a walk through laughing at, or oogling half dressed girls while avoiding the bums. But id always hit Easy Tiger when im there. (6th)
Sounds entertaining and something for us to dabble in for a minute and then gtfo before we become a part of the spectacle.

Would the area south of the river within 35, 290, and 1 be decent? Found a couple of AirBnBs there that might work for our group and it looks close enough to where you suggested that we could cab it or possibly walk.

Prob close enough that a cab wont be too expensive i believe. If im thinking right about the area you suggest.

sounds like it could be a stretch to walk it though. (at least for me, after a few blocks im out ha ha)

while avoiding the bums. But id always hit Easy Tiger when im there. (6th)
This is the only Oasis in that jackassery, lol. I know at least 2 guys that have gotten drunk, blacked out, and ended up in a holding tank after going a little too dirty on Dirty.

I tend to just hang out at Craft Pride and drink Yellow Rose tho.

Prob close enough that a cab wont be too expensive i believe. If im thinking right about the area you suggest.

sounds like it could be a stretch to walk it though. (at least for me, after a few blocks im out ha ha)
It would be a slow, meandering walk or a cab split between several people. But I'm not in charge of where we stay. I'll give them this input for sure, though.
This is the only Oasis in that jackassery, lol. I know at least 2 guys that have gotten drunk, blacked out, and ended up in a holding tank after going a little too dirty on Dirty.

I tend to just hang out at Craft Pride and drink Yellow Rose tho.
Hopefully I will be doing this at least one day, if not more.

I'm really looking forward to this trip so thanks for the help, ya'll.

No Lyft/Uber here by the way, but there's like 5 different apps to use now. I like Fasten and Fare the most, pm me for a code when it's closer to the date.

No Lyft/Uber here by the way, but there's like 5 different apps to use now. I like Fasten and Fare the most, pm me for a code when it's closer to the date.
Will do. I'll try to bring something from Ohio and make time to meet up with TBers if people are free. Hopefully Bodhi bottles are a real thing by then.

Hey Austin residents, I'll be in town for a conference and staying around 5660 north I35. Any suggestions or Yellow Rose sightings? Hoping to get some bottles as it was dry last time everywhere I went. Thanks!

Hey Austin residents, I'll be in town for a conference and staying around 5660 north I35. Any suggestions or Yellow Rose sightings? Hoping to get some bottles as it was dry last time everywhere I went. Thanks!
Heh. Your hotel is one of the ones I do accounting for.

Since you're literally across the street from where my office is, I can tell you that I normally hit Pinthouse Pizza and Draught House after work. They're within 2-3 miles of your hotel. Draught House usually always has Yellow Rose on.

As far as bottles, you just gotta hit it right. Spec's Airport is literally 1/2 mile from your hotel and will have YR on the right day. It's so damn random when it hits though.

Since you're literally across the street from where my office is, I can tell you that I normally hit Pinthouse Pizza and Draught House after work. They're within 2-3 miles of your hotel. Draught House usually always has Yellow Rose on.

As far as bottles, you just gotta hit it right. Spec's Airport is literally 1/2 mile from your hotel and will have YR on the right day. It's so damn random when it hits though.
Looks like I know where I'm going after craft pride

Draught house was awesome, thanks for the suggestion!

Ok, ladies, I'll be in Austin May 3rd-7th for my buddy's wedding. Have a few ideas, but please give a shout, fill in the blanks on the plan.........

MUST DO:
Franklin BBQ- I know, cliche, but I don't give a ****. Thinking Fri, in line by 7am. With a chair and beers in hand.

Jester King - Swing by, have a few. Maybe pick up a few bottles

Live Oak: LOVE them. Looking forward to just stopping in, chkn out more of thier beers. Then, grabbing a bunch for the weekend, and to send back.

Hmmmm:

Any spots have St. Arnold BA beers laying around?

Which Alamo should I chk out? Went to one like 10 years ago here. Don't recall which one.

Best Breakfast taco spots?

Any other food or beer spots worth chkn out?

My GF will be with me, so I'll have to balance it out a bit. She does like live music, any thoughts there?

Thanks folks!

Maybe I'll "accidentally" run into some of you at the beer spots! If that happens, I can bring some NoCal goodness to pour

Ok, ladies, I'll be in Austin May 3rd-7th for my buddy's wedding. Have a few ideas, but please give a shout, fill in the blanks on the plan.........

MUST DO:
Franklin BBQ- I know, cliche, but I don't give a ****. Thinking Fri, in line by 7am. With a chair and beers in hand.

Jester King - Swing by, have a few. Maybe pick up a few bottles

Live Oak: LOVE them. Looking forward to just stopping in, chkn out more of thier beers. Then, grabbing a bunch for the weekend, and to send back.

Hmmmm:

Which Alamo should I chk out? Went to one like 10 years ago here. Don't recall which one.

Best Breakfast taco spots?

My GF will be with me, so I'll have to balance it out a bit. She does like live music, any thoughts there?

Thanks folks!

Maybe I'll "accidentally" run into some of you at the beer spots! If that happens, I can bring some NoCal goodness to pour

Franklin time is good and yes, bring a chair.

My favorite bfast tacos are Taco Joint, Veracruz, and Tamale House in that order. I have a tough time making food suggestions to visitors from places like SF/NY/Philly/Houston since Austin's food scene has exceptional bbq or breakfast tacos, but all in all, nowhere near as diverse, so it's tough to make a unique rec.

Missing from your list are... Pinthouse (which would be a strong suggestion and arguably must-stop destination), ABW, Hops & Grain, ABGB. Could do Craft Pride and Bangers too.

Personally I like the South Lamar Alamo and I occasionally go to the Ritz. Not a fan of Anderson Lane.

Check Whip In. That's where I've always got them. The last release was actually sent to stores as well (this is normally a beer that you can only get from a bar... and only to-go in bars that sell beer via retail [no liquor, beer/wine only]).
South Lamar is considered their "flagship" location. I personally go to Lakeline (and went to Slaughter when I lived South), but that's probably way out of your way. :) Another option is Flix Brewhouse, which is a brewery/theater w/ food. Really good IPA there and it's pretty much an Alamo clone in most respects.
Pinthouse Pizza is slangin' the dankest IPAs in all of Texas right now.

Austin Beerworks is just a joy to go to and they always have exclusive beers on that you can't get elsewhere. Plus their taproom staff is #1 in my book. Their new taproom that just opened is one of the nicest in the city.
Check do512.com before you leave. It has a music schedule for each week downtown.
Keep in mind, because this is a production brewery, you can't buy beer on-site to-go because of our dumb laws. Spec's always has Live Oak for cans for about $7.99/6-pack though (sometimes $6.99 on the weekend)

Awesome h
Check Whip In. That's where I've always got them. The last release was actually sent to stores as well (this is normally a beer that you can only get from a bar... and only to-go in bars that sell beer via retail [no liquor, beer/wine only]).

South Lamar is considered their "flagship" location. I personally go to Lakeline (and went to Slaughter when I lived South), but that's probably way out of your way. :) Another option is Flix Brewhouse, which is a brewery/theater w/ food. Really good IPA there and it's pretty much an Alamo clone in most respects.

Pinthouse Pizza is slangin' the dankest IPAs in all of Texas right now.

Austin Beerworks is just a joy to go to and they always have exclusive beers on that you can't get elsewhere. Plus their taproom staff is #1 in my book. Their new taproom that just opened is one of the nicest in the city.

Check do512.com before you leave. It has a music schedule for each week downtown.

Keep in mind, because this is a production brewery, you can't buy beer on-site to-go because of our dumb laws. Spec's always has Live Oak for cans for about $7.99/6-pack though (sometimes $6.99 on the weekend)
Awesomeness. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back