Austin Homebrew Black Butte Porter - Mini Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jereandjess

Reaction score
I recently bought the Black Butte clone kit from AHS and am planning on brewing today/tomorrow.

I am putting the receipe into Beersmith and it is coming up short on fermentables / OG, giving me a predicted OG of 1.041, when should be more in the 1.053 range according to the instructions.

Mini Mash:
10oz Crystal 60L
9oz Chocolate
2.24lbs 2-row

5lbs Pilsen Light LME 2.3 srm

I am thinking I need to bump it up a little bit. Any suggestions, or do I do it as they suggest, and forget what Beersmith says?

Don't want to waste the kit.......

Is it an efficiency issue? If, for example, Austin Homebrew is assuming 70% efficiency and Beersmith is assuming 60%, then the numbers would come out wrong. I've had the same issue with Brewer's Friend when inputting recipes from kits before I finally figured out what the issue was. If you have a good idea of what your actual efficiency is for partial mashes, then you can go from there (I've found that mine is right at about 60%).

Back