Austin Home Brew $20 kits??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I jumped on board. I haven't brewed an extract in a long while, but for $20, what the heck! Ok, $40 since I'm a ten-gallon guy. Sounds like fun to throw down a quick batch!

Forrest, how long will these kits last; in other words, what is the shelf life? I plan on picking up a few kits and will brew every few months or so.

Would they still be viable a year from now?

ultravista said:
in another thread for these kits, I saw that Forrest responded that LME is very perishable & he suggested ordering only what'd you brew in a month.

Guess you could buy two kits and only buy one yeast. Two similar beers and you could repitch on the cake. I'll for sure be getting a few.

Ordered 3, the Amber, Hefe and an Oktoberfest. Could not pass up these prices. Looks like I have a few weekends booked. :)

Forrest, how long will these kits last; in other words, what is the shelf life? I plan on picking up a few kits and will brew every few months or so.

Malt extract is very perishable. Do not buy more than you can make in a month.

Forrest

What's with the wholesale deleting of posts? I guess they were off-topic but we would never know what was said because they have been deleted. Perhaps a better way to address this would be to ask the people to take the off-topic stuff to another thread. As ti stands, it appears that the mods are just randomly deleting posts they don;t like or agree with.

I realize this is a private forum, but it really doesn't do any of us any good when half the threads on here are censored.

I have noticed a lot of posts and threads getting deleted. All of them are concerning the vendors.....weird

The stuff that was deleted last night was really off-topic. It was two guys who were probably drunk calling each other names and attempting to insult each other. That's all. It was no big deal, nothing negative about the homebrew stores.

I apologize for being off-topic, but people are curious.

Thanks Forrest!!! I just got an order from you delivered last night. I will be ordering beer gun when its in stock on 3/18 and will be adding a few of these kits ;)

Well I got two kits coming and the second one will probably be two months before I brew. Is there anything that I can do to keep the LME fresh?

Pour enough vodka on the surface of the extract to cover it. Then pour it off before you use it. Keep it in the fridge. The potential problem is surface mold.

Forrest

On my radar are Belgian Golden Ale, Blonde Rye, English Pale Ale, ESB, Lemon Wheat
I ordered 3 and a perlick to hit $100. I plan to do the vodka preservation trick on at least one, as I will be loaded with brews by the end of the month. I usually stove-top all-grain and keg, but will try out extract and stock up on bottles for this bonanza.

I ordered IPA, Wit and the Belgian Golden with the alcohol boost to creep closer to a strong golden ale.

Awesome, I'm going to order 3 or 4 extract kits next month to keep the pipeline going between big all grain brew days.

i ordered up a Belgian golden ale and a few other stuff from them and got it on Monday i cant to brew it up. if the damn rain lets me!!!!!

i ordered up a Belgian golden ale and a few other stuff from them and got it on Monday i cant to brew it up. if the damn rain lets me!!!!!

Just ordered 2 Blondes, my 2nd IPA(haven't received the first one), and a Pale Ale. Along with some Amarillo, Cascade, Citra, and Falconer's Flight hops. I'm going to have some damn good hoppy beers.

I wish you would send some of that rain over here to TX. We're hurting for some.

Some people have already asked this question, but I'm also curious. Has anyone tried the IPA kit? How was it?

Some people have already asked this question, but I'm also curious. Has anyone tried the IPA kit? How was it?

I got the IPA kit, but tweaked it a little. I added the cascade, with 5min left instead of dry hopping with it. I bought 2 oz of citra to dry hop and split the 5 gallons in half into 2 separate secondaries and added some oak chips soaked with spiced rum along with an ounce of the citra to one carboy and just an oz of citra for dry hopping to the other.

All that to say that before transferring to the secondaries it tasted really good.

I got the IPA kit, but tweaked it a little. I added the cascade, with 5min left instead of dry hopping with it. I bought 2 oz of citra to dry hop and split the 5 gallons in half into 2 separate secondaries and added some oak chips soaked with spiced rum along with an ounce of the citra to one carboy and just an oz of citra for dry hopping to the other.

All that to say that before transferring to the secondaries it tasted really good.

Tweaked? ROFL. Please post the results when ready.

Back