Attempting a propane fired BIAB setup...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshopmike

Reaction score
So I have a legally obtained 15.5 gallon keg that will be converted to a keggle and I'm wondering what parts I'd need to build a control box to regulate my temp using a propane burner. I've seen info about solenoids and what not, but I'd like advice so as to NOT blow myself up. Thanks.

I guess I'm confused..are you getting another vessel to set up a HERMS?

When I do BIAB I just heat the water to strike temps and then add the grains. No temp regulation beyond insulation.

Single vessel BIAB, propane fired, but I wanted the ability to set the temps and have it come on and off as necessary. I don't know, maybe I'm just over complicating a simple process.

Unless you are recirculating with a HERMS or RIMS you're going to run into problems, as if you are direct-firing your MLT while it is mashing you're going to develop some crazy temperature gradients. Unless it's constantly stirring, I suppose.

If you're NOT going to recirculate, you're better off insulating the heck out of your vessel and sealing it up during the mash.

When I BIAB, I just wrap the mash kettle with an old sleeping bag,;it only loses a couple deg over the 60 min mash. No additional heat needed.

Latest posts

Back