At what point do you stop upgrading your gear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xCSx

Reaction score
For those of you who have been doing this for many many years, is there ever an end? When are enough taps enough in your house? When is your capacity enough?

Gear Acquisition syndrome is real!

For those of you who have been doing this for many many years, is there ever an end? When are enough taps enough in your house? When is your capacity enough?

Whenever you run out of space, money, or the spouse says ENOUGH ALREADY!---whichever comes first :mug:

once you stop brewing.

until then there is ALWAYS something to upgrade / replace / change / try.

So anyone move up to a 1 BBL System at home yet? :)

67080878.jpg

I went 1bbl at home about 3 years ago. I've definitely reached the end of the rabbit hole for myself as far as size. We brew 6-12 times a year and between my brew partner and myself we would need to quit our day jobs to drink anymore beer before it became too old.

But going to 1 bbl didn't put an end to the gear mongering, first it was the new oxygen injector with flowmeter, then it was 2 pumps, then it was building a jaded style chiller to use for both cooling and mash stability, then we started going electric, next came stir plates and bug ranching, then we need 20 sankes to start our sour program, then…. well you get the picture:)

As a guitarist I understand this question. As a brewer, I do not.

My brewing evolution has been a gradual downsizing and refinement from a 3 tier propane setup brewing 5+ gallons (the standard that everyone tells you to buy), to a small and efficient electric rig brewing half that volume.

Definitely loved going from bottling to a six tap kegerator, though. That's here to stay. But I fill it with 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs now instead of 5'ers that take forever to empty in my house.

My brew day is down to 3 hours with prep the night before, and I can nail predicted efficiency within 2 percentage points. I want that predictability and familiarity so I can brew the BEST beer on my more than adequate system. It doesn't look as rad as some people's banks of gleaming stainless steel and LEDs, but I don't think those things are the top priority.

I can think of lots of ingredients to buy and styles/recipes to brew, though. Keep those comin'. But I'm good with my gear unless some magical "must have" gadget comes along.

My brewing evolution has been a gradual downsizing and refinement from a 3 tier propane setup brewing 5+ gallons (the standard that everyone tells you to buy), to a small and efficient electric rig brewing half that volume.

Definitely loved going from bottling to a six tap kegerator, though. That's here to stay. But I fill it with 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs now instead of 5'ers that take forever to empty in my house.

My brew day is down to 3 hours with prep the night before, and I can nail predicted efficiency within 2 percentage points. I want that predictability and familiarity so I can brew the BEST beer on my more than adequate system. It doesn't look as rad as some people's banks of gleaming stainless steel and LEDs, but I don't think those things are the top priority.

I can think of lots of ingredients to buy and styles/recipes to brew, though. Keep those comin'. But I'm good with my gear unless some magical "must have" gadget comes along.

Wait! What? You can get LED brewing bling?

As soon as I get the new PID controller for my third fermentation chamber I will be complete. Oh, and I NEED to upgrade one of my pumps, but that doesn't count, its necessary...

Our recording studio is fighting for space against fermentation. I constantly have to address the needs and wants so that one doesn't overtake the other. I too am downsizing in ways in both areas.

Both are fighting for the artist inside me though haha

So anyone move up to a 1 BBL System at home yet? :)

Just need the 50 gal boiler and I'm there. I'd rather go with a 40 gal. if I can find one but the only one I've found cost more than the 50. This will be my after the holiday damn you been a good boy gift to myself.

Getting back to the question, I don't think so...

Our recording studio is fighting for space against fermentation. I constantly have to address the needs and wants so that one doesn't overtake the other. I too am downsizing in ways in both areas.

Both are fighting for the artist inside me though haha

I have the same problem, probably around $30k in recording studio, only $5k in brewing, brewing has some catching up to do!

after each upgrade I tell myself this is going to be the last one for a while.... then a couple weeks pass & I see something new i need / want to build.

CUrrently I need to:
Finish my 2-tier stand (this week hopefully!)
rebuild my ferm chamber
build a hop spider
rebuild my mash tun
cut a keg & turn it into my HLT
build a keezer so I can go from 2 to 5 taps

it will never end

Trying to down size right now then plan to buy a SS brew bucket instead of using PET carboys and plastic buckets.

Would love to own a Breweasy and glycol chilled Chronicals. But space and funds don't permit that.

I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel. I got things I want/need to get soon. Then I got things I'm thinking about getting, but not sure about, need to think it over some more. Then I got the really long range, after everything else plans. As a matter of fact, just ordered a new piece of equipment this evening.

Ok,ok, lets think about this.

Buy a couple Jeeps, a boat oh and your gonna need some fishing gear yeah more than just a little. Now get into making cider and whatnot from the oh yeah micro farm you started on your one acre. Make some Graff, mmm smell that wort Hmmm gonna need some brewing equipment. Oh boy here we go, that was three months ago $2000.00 later I am almost (sooo close) ready to brew some beer!!!!!!!
NAHHHH, you aint never done, you just speakin gibberish man.:D:D

I have been brewing for somewhere in the neighborhood of 21-22 years..... Wherever the "end" point is.... apparently it does not happen before 22 years.

One of the guys in my brew club has a 1bbl system I have drooled over many times, including 3 walk-in coolers and 16 taps. I think it has been a couple years since he changed anything so that might be the end.

The first two years of brew are the worst. That's when I pretty much doubled down and went all in. I built an automated brew stand and then tweaked the programming for about a year. However, last couple years nothing.

I brew 5gal batches as that's really all the beer I can drink at a time. I've got more than enough carboys, a pile of hydrometers I don't even use, tons of bottles and a keg I bought and never used...every once in a while I see a deal on kegs then think about the one that never got touched.

Honestly I'm set. The only thing I don't have that I think I'd use is a grain mill. But then I ask myself, why? I say because some day I'll buy bulk grains. However, that's unlikely as I always buy ingredients for immediate use. I either buy my grain milled or mill it at my LHBS.

I suppose when production exceeds demand.

I'm more about expanding at this point. I need a couple more kegs. Bulk grain w/ mill would be cool.

Otherwise I'm ok with everything. Some upgrades would be nice but aren't the priority.

I think it's based on your personality. I'm a tinkerer and love playing around with new equipment and ways to make my brew day faster/easier. My buddy on the other hand has a pretty simple setup and other than a fermentation chamber, is pretty content with what he has.

I will stop upgrading equipment when I start realizing I don't brew as much as I use to, have other things I need to pay for, and convince myself I don't need to convert things.

I guess the best answer to your question, and it is a question that I have struggled with, is you stop when you are able to accomplish what it is that you hope to accomplish.

I still want equipment, but is the money that I spend really going to make a difference anymore??

You stop upgrading brewing gear when you stop brewing.

And then you find some other hobby to throw money at upgrading to boredom.

I'd really like to think I'm nearing that point, but if I stop too long to think about it I'll come up with more things to upgrade.

And there's always the chance that a deal that's too good to pass up comes along. I'm happy with my 26 gallon, flat bottom, SS wine fermenters, but if a conical ever comes along at the right price, I can see making the change.

Back