Assume for a moment that you live on an island

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
Assume for a moment that you live on an island. Not a far away island. Not a big island. You can still get to the mainland in about an hour, more-or-less when you want, but it's a PITA and $50 roundtrip to do with a car.

Assume standard shipping rates apply because there's a post office on the island.

Assume you have all the equipment you need except for kegging.

Who do you order equipment and ingredients from?

Edit: autocorrect screwed up the thread title.

Last edited by a moderator:
grains - probabably brewbrothers.biz
hops - farmhouse brewing supply
yeast - really anyone... it's all the same

I don't live on an island but the nearest LHBS is 50 miles away, and it's not all that well stocked. I order everything online.

I've been very happy with Great Fermentations.

Hops: I've always ordered hops from Yakima Valley Hops and am always pleased with the quality of the hops and timeliness of delivery. Usually get the delivery 2 days after placing the order. 2 days from Yakima, WA to Chicago, IL is damn good if you ask me. And it's only $6 flat (I usually only order 1-2 lbs at a time, not sure if they start charging more for heavier orders).

Grains & Yeast: I get from my awesome LHBS

Equipment: I've ordered from AIH a couple times, they have good customer service for the most part, and timely delivery. Some of their equipment is cheap for a reason, tho. Weld jobs on an 8 gal kettle I got thru them were less than perfect. Pot leaks a bit where the ball valve screws into the pot. Now I only use it to heat sparge water

Assume for a moment that you live on an island. Not a far away island. Not a big island. You can still get to the mainland in about an hour, more-or-less when you want, but it's a PITA and $50 roundtrip to do with a car.

Assume standard shipping rates apply because there's a post office on the island.

I would think it would take longer than an hour and cost alot more than $50 to make a round trip to the mainland in a car...

It really depends on where this island is. If in the south Pacific??

Make an order and place it in the online cart, calculate for shipping, try another site do the same. Then order from the one that has the best cost to shipping time......

I wouldn't order from a site that will save me $2 but take a week longer to receive.....

Everything here applies to me, with the exception of standard shipping rates, and if you can get a car here, you're a rich man indeed.

I buy everything I need on Ebay, because the sellers foolishly give me a shipping quote, and by the time they get to the post office, they realize that shipping's more than the item was worth. A few will cancel the transaction at that point, but most will honor their sale and send me the item. One or two ask me to pay the extra shipping, which I do.

I used to buy on Amazon.ca, but they now charge an arm, leg, and half of your first born for shipping. Now i've discovered Amazon.com, and can get cheap shipping again :)

If you live on an island like me with a post office in the middle of town, you can still get what you need for brewing and kegging :)

Everything here applies to me, with the exception of standard shipping rates, and if you can get a car here, you're a rich man indeed.

I buy everything I need on Ebay, because the sellers foolishly give me a shipping quote, and by the time they get to the post office, they realize that shipping's more than the item was worth. A few will cancel the transaction at that point, but most will honor their sale and send me the item. One or two ask me to pay the extra shipping, which I do.

I used to buy on Amazon.ca, but they now charge an arm, leg, and half of your first born for shipping. Now i've discovered Amazon.com, and can get cheap shipping again :)

If you live on an island like me with a post office in the middle of town, you can still get what you need for brewing and kegging :)

i just googled where you live 'cuz i hadn't a clue... and damn! thats awesome!

I would think it would take longer than an hour and cost alot more than $50 to make a round trip to the mainland in a car...

The ferry is a little cheaper than $50 for the car & driver. Anyone else going needs their own ticket. So taking the family would be about $32 more.

I assume much of the ferry cost is subsidized through tourism dollars.

The ferry ride is about an hour. If you take a car, you have to arrive 30 - 60 minutes early.

It really depends on where this island is. If in the south Pacific??

Make an order and place it in the online cart, calculate for shipping, try another site do the same. Then order from the one that has the best cost to shipping time......

I wouldn't order from a site that will save me $2 but take a week longer to receive.....

It's west coast.

I've thought about trying this with a couple dummy addresses to verify that there isn't a shipping surcharge.

That's great to hear. One of the potential pluses of this is being able to sell a car. I figure it would be a rare occasion we would both need to leave the island and go in different directions. And if we absolutely had to, I'd rent a car when we got there.

Maybe even sell the car and use the money to buy a boat.

I've been thinking that Amazon Prime might become my best friend.

The ferry is a little cheaper than $50 for the car & driver. Anyone else going needs their own ticket. So taking the family would be about $32 more.

I assume much of the ferry cost is subsidized through tourism dollars.

The ferry ride is about an hour. If you take a car, you have to arrive 30 - 60 minutes early.

It was a joke, buddy. A bad one at that.

What really annoys me about amazon is that they will offer 2 day free shipping if you are an "amazon prime" member but everything that is "prime eligible" will be marked up to at least include the cost of shipping, often times more.

What really annoys me about amazon is that they will offer 2 day free shipping if you are an "amazon prime" member but everything that is "prime eligible" will be marked up to at least include the cost of shipping, often times more.

Taking my location into account, that markup still is cheaper than paying for actual shipping costs.

I don't see this across the board IME. Diapers, wipes, toothpaste, floss, etc is all the same price or cheaper than Walmart or target. And it gets delivered right to my house. There is some stuff on Prime that cost more than retails store but we are in the habit of quickly comparing to other stores.

To answer the original question I would just look at who is geographically closest to me and has reasonable prices with a good selection. Speaking strictly of online purchases there have been a number of times where I've had to order a specific item from a different store simply because their selection was greater. There are other times when I was willing to make a substitution because I knew the items would arrive quicker and I was on a tighter schedule. You should always be flexible when there are options.

You know we're all wondering what island you're referring to, right?

I'm not allowed to say because SWMBO is afraid I'll jinx it. But this is essentially her dream job for me. I think she'll flay me if this doesn't happen.

Seriously though, it's a great opportunity for both of us and a pre-retirement move. So I'm taking it if they offer it even if I lose a little pay in cost-of-living. I mean, if you could get a job in a place you would like to retire to when you are mid-career, would you hesitate?

And all signs are that they will be offering. I'm making the road/ferry trip this weekend for a face-to-face and they are taking care of some of the costs.

We don't live on an island. But the nearest four lane highway or freeway is about 150 miles away. It's not a ferry ride, but it's a 3 hour drive each way so the cost would be similar. We have one red light in our entire county, and it is turned on only at certain times.

I buy from northernbrewer.com or ritebrew.com mostly, but have bought from morebeer, and others. I order yeast once or twice per year, and save and reuse.

I go to a city about once or twice a year, and buy sacks of grain and things like that in person since shipping is the killer on that.

I never had it any different, so it seems normal to me to do what I do.

You know we're all wondering what island you're referring to, right?

San Juan Islands, WA? Beernik's description sounds a lot like getting to/from Friday Harbor or Eastsound from/to Anacortes. My guess is probably wrong, but I do know that if I had an opportunity to move/work there, I'd have really tough time turning it down.

And there's a brewery in Eastsound (Orcas Island).

Taking my location into account, that markup still is cheaper than paying for actual shipping costs.

@Venari

You sir, have the coolest location of anyone I have seen on HBT.

I reckon you should do a little photo montage of your island and the challenges to brewing it brings. Winters must be fun. :)

"Brewing in Baffin with Venari". Hope I've not touched a nerve there by using your bigger island neighbor. Perhaps there's a major rivalry. It just sounds fun.

I for one would love to see that on the front page. Just a thought mate. Don't wan't to put you on the spot. But that would be fun to see/read.

Well, this has been a really fun trip.

I think now I'm just waiting for HR to do its thing and an offer to be finalized. That I unless I unknowingly fell on my face during the face-to-face interview or they lowball an offer to me.

This weekend, we will start prepping for the move in anticipation of the offer.

Assuming I live on an island, I'd order my butler to go fetch the stuff for me. Possibly take my yacht instead if the VS models wanted to go for a ride.

San Juan Islands, WA? Beernik's description sounds a lot like getting to/from Friday Harbor or Eastsound from/to Anacortes. My guess is probably wrong, but I do know that if I had an opportunity to move/work there, I'd have really tough time turning it down.

And there's a brewery in Eastsound (Orcas Island).

@LLBeanJ is our winner. I'll be working in Friday Harbor.

I got the verbal offer today. We are still in negotiations for pay and when I start there.

But packing begins tonight.

Oh, and the view from my office will not be this good, but it does include this bay.

image.jpg

Congrats! I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little envious. The San Juans are absolutely beautiful. My wife and I were married in Eastsound and we try to make it back to the islands every so often. We truly love it there and have discussed maybe moving up there some day. Here's wishing the best of luck to you and your wife on your big move!

Ritebrew. They have the lowest prices for grains, hops and yeast I've found. They'll double crush the grain for BIAB for a small fee. They don't have flat rate shipping, but I live within the area that has SpeeDee delivery, which is usually less than $10 for my orders and gets here in three days. They ship really fast too...I've placed orders including crushed grain and have gotten a shipping notification within 90 minutes of placing the order. Also, if you order on a Friday, they give the option to hold off on shipping until Monday so liquid yeast isn't sitting in some warm delivery truck or warehouse over the weekend.

I finally found a place to rent that isn't seasonal and isn't expensive. It's on Lopez. If I have to commute on the ferry, Lopez to Friday Harbor looks the easiest, most flexible, and inter-island travel is free.

I may have an aunt that wants to rent my house here in SLC, which would save me so much hassle in selling my house. She wants the weekend to think of it.

This is all coming together awesomely.

Back to my original question, everyone is I have talked to out there is telling me that every 6 to 8 weeks we should make a trip to The mainland for nonperrishable groceries. That it's the best way to keep the grocery bill from being too expensive. I can buy beer ingredients on one of those trips from a LHBS.

Now I need to decide how much homebrew stuff is going with us. The square footage is only shrinking from 1500 to 1200 sq.ft. But there are 2 fewer bedrooms and no garages.

Very cool. I've never set foot on Lopez, but I have been on the ferry when it stopped there a couple of times. Bellingham will be your best bet for brewing supplies. There's also a Costco there for bulking up on groceries.

Edit: Burlington has a LHBS. There's a Costco in Burlington, too, which is quite a bit closer to Anacortes than B'ham.

Another quick update on the move:

My aunt got flakey on renting the house, buying my snowblower, and buying my brother-in-law's Honda Passport that's been stored here since he moved to Hong Kong.

Probably for the best that she didn't rent it. I hate flakey people. The house goes on the market next week.

We are moving from a 4 bedroom house with 2 garages and a cellar plus my wife's art shop to a 2 bedroom condo with no garages, no on-site storage and no art shop yet. So anything that doesn't "have to go" isn't going.

I am not exaggerating when I say I have thrown away 3.5 tons of junk over the last 2 months. That's off load tickets from the landfill. It doesn't include what I've sold, donated, recycled, given away, or put in the trash can for weekly pickup.

And I still have one or two runs to the landfill left to make.

Moving day is Tuesday, just in time for the second snowstorm of the winter to hit SLC.

Latest posts

Back