Asking a lot- Help with first AG brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
Ok.....So I have read deathbrewers tutorial on doing a stovetop all grain brew. I wanna try it out, but have a lot of questions. I have done a lot of searching here but am still a little fuzzy.
Here is the recipe I have.
All Grain Recipe - Gumball Head Wheat ::: 1.052/1.012 (6 Gal)
Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)
6 lbs. - Wheat Malt
5 lbs. - 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Caravienne Malt

Hop Schedule (27 IBU)
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - First Wort Hop
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - 15 min.
1.25 oz. - Amarillo - 5 min.
1 oz. - Amarillo - 1 min.
1.5 oz. - Amarillo - Dry Hop

Yeast
White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 68° to 70°

Ok. So I wanna make a 3 gallon batch on my stovetop. I have beersmith but am not real familiar with using it yet. Can someone tell me how to make the ingredients a 3 gallon batch?
Also, can someone give me a brief outline on how to go about this? I can follow the basics in the tutorial but am still having trouble with the amount of water, temp, mash times, sparge.....etc.
Thanks for any and all insight,.
Also.....What in the world is first wort hop? Also, I have a 7 gallon aluminum brewpot and a turkey frier burner if that helps.

Well, on beersmith you should just be able to adjust the batchsize. Set that to three gallons and it should set everything you need from there. But I can tell you, a 3 gallon batch with that amount of grain is going to give you an imperial wheat beer.

first wort hopping is hops added to the wort before you boil, typically just after you sparge.

Beersmith should help you with determining your temperatures and volumes you need for the beer. it's a little too complicated for me to explain, but you should be able to find some help on here.

In Beersmith there is a tab at the top called 'scale'. Put in 3 gallons for your batch size and it should convert all of the amounts from the original recipe to a 3 gallon batch.

For your step by step instructions, click on brewsheet at the top and it wil give you all of the amounts of water to add, temps, when to add, etc. according to your recipe.

First Wort Hop is when you add your 1st hops as soon as you begin to collect your runnings from the mash tun.

Hope this helps!

Also, what on earth is that recipe anyway. It's like an India wheat ale. IWA? I'm intrigued.

its DEF a cool little hybrid IMO. Check my blog for my take on the recipe. They state their IBUs @ 18 which IMO is a bit low. I shot for ~30. Use Red wheat if you can. My next try i will try to back off the color a bit by using 20L. Regardless its an awesome high aroma/flavor hops "wheatIPA" like you said. DEF. dry hop!

It is a clone of 3 Floyd's gumballhead wheat ipa. I have never made it, tasted it or seen it but the idea really strikes me as interesting.

Back