Arrogant Bastard - Extract Clone Kit Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be brewing an Arrogant Bastard extract clone kit from Northern Brewing next week (their kit is called Elegant Bastard).

For a 5.5 gallon batch it uses:
6 lbs Gold LME
2 lbs Golden Light DME
1 lb Corn Sugar
12.6 oz Special B (steep)
0.5 oz Chinook (60-min)
1.0 oz Chinook (45-min)
1.0 oz Chinook (15-min)
1.0 oz Chinook (flame-out)
White Labs WLP007​

My question is about the specialty grains. Most of the clone recipes I've seen use Special B, but many also include one or more of: Aromatic, Biscuit, Caramunich or Crystal.

Should I stick with the kit as is, or some of these other grains for the steep? If so, which one(s) and how much of each?

I brewed a brown ale kit once that was very light on the specialty grains. It came out watery and without much taste. It's the only keg I've ever dumped as no one wanted to drink it. Now I'm a little leery when I brew a kit that doesn't use much in the way of specialty grains.

Thanks for your help!

Just to throw out a few clone recipes I found on this site:

From 2007: An all-grain recipe that used 11.5 lb two-row and 1.5 lb Crystal 120.

From 2008: An all-grain recipe that used 15 lb two-row, plus 0.5 lb each of Aromatic, Biscuit, Caramunich and Special B.

From 2012: An all-grain recipe that used 12.5 lb two-row, plus 1.75 lb Special B and 0.5 lb Crystal 120.

I've seen several clone recipes, both all-grain and extract, that use 0.5 lb each of Aromatic, Biscuit, Caramunich and Special B I'm kind of leaning toward trying that, but I'd really appreciate some input. Especially if anyone has brewed a clone of Arrogant Bastard recently.

Thanks again!

I find the kits from NB to be very good. I think they offer a quality product in most of their kits. I must admit that I often steal their recipes and use grains and hops from my LHBS to brew them. I would advise you brew the kit as is. I think you will enjoy it. Then, if you feel you want to make changes to the next batch, do so.

I am enjoying a Dead Ringer brewed from one of their extract kits as I type this.

I find the kits from NB to be very good. I think they offer a quality product in most of their kits. I must admit that I often steal their recipes and use grains and hops from my LHBS to brew them. I would advise you brew the kit as is. I think you will enjoy it. Then, if you feel you want to make changes to the next batch, do so.

I followed your advice and made it per the kit. I'll try and post an update after it's finished.

Thanks!

I bet you will really enjoy it. Next time you brew it you may want to make a few changes but you should find the original very enjoyable.

Back