Are you too honest to save $50 from a pricing error?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadConPana

Reaction score
This 60 foot section of 3/8" type L copper tubing would normally cost $110. Depending where you live, you will see it listed as either $59.99 or $44.99. In fact, in my area, some stores have one price, some have the other. So, if there is more than one Lowe's in your town, check them all if your nearest doesn't have the lower price.

This price is a mistake.

If you look at a list of all of their copper tubing you will notice that there are two listings for Mueller Streamline 3/8-in Dia x 60-ft L Coil Copper Pipe. Depending on the store, one is either at $45 or $60 and, the other is priced at either $82 or $110. There is also a listing for Mueller 1/4-in Dia x 60-ft L Coil Copper Pipe. It's price will match the erroneous price of the 3/8", as well as its item number. Apparently that's how the error occurred. Somebody must have entered the wrong description for the 1/4" tubing.

I went into the store, fully expecting that somehow, this would be too good to be true, maybe a damaged package or something, but not thinking it was a mistake. And, since I am not a plumber, I printed out the product page to make sure I got the right thing. When I showed this to the manager, he looked it up on his computer and found the same thing. Also, I had been watching this item for about a month, so I told him that it has said that for a very long time. He gave me the price without putting up a fight.

Mind you, despite what you may have heard, if it's an honest mistake they have no legal obligation to honor the price. And, if you're an ******* about it, they might not. But, I would give it a try.

So, what did I do with all of that tubing?

I live in Florida, and sometimes our tap water is downright warm. I didn't think a typical wort chiller would efficiently achieve the last few degrees I needed to get a good cold break.

20140624_092215.jpg

So, I made a two stage system. I will fill the first bucket with ice water. so that the water entering the actual chiller will be WAY below 80 degrees. I used my bottling bucket for the ice bath so that I can drain water and keep adding ice if needed.

Not sure taking them up on this price is really putting the screws to them.....
I picked up 20' of the same type copper a few months ago for $21 and it makes sense that for a larger supply, you get a price break. Still, pretty good price!

It is not a mistake. Home Depot did the same to get rid of some kind of stock. I don't recall the purpose but I believe it has to do with code and the copper not being up to code or something. Either way, it is not a mistake, no need to be an ******* about anything or worry about anyone else being an *******, and you didn't stick it to them. I assure you, pricing mistakes are discovered almost instantly. This is no mistake.

You can never be too honest whether it is about a price mistake (if there was one) or anything else for that matter.

Enjoy your cheap copper. Like I said, people got it from HD some time back and it looks like Lowes is finally getting rid of stock for a song.

I would argue the price advertised, I have not been denied the advertised price even when they say it was an honest mistake, I would not consider myself an ass hole for arguing a better deal. there are two laws that I know of, one is the bait and switch which is illegal, the second is the honest error or mistake in pricing through a written policy, this written policy must be available to the buyer in advance of the buy. If it was a small mom and pop shop, I would pay full price, big corp. I would argue, argue, and argue.

I recently found that Lowes has a "NIBCO 3/8-in Dia x 20-ft L Coil Copper Pipe" for $13.98. I bought 2 of those using site-to-store w/ a promo code I found on line. In the store bought a coupler and a couple of barbed garden hose adapters that fit over the end of the pipe (had to ream a little bit with a 3/8 drill bit). I shaped the 2 pipe sections separate and soldered together in rib cage style. I soldered the two garden hose adapters on each end. It's a nice 40' immersion chiller for just over $40.

Latest posts

Back