Are you offended when others pour your beer out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should remind you FIL that Bud actually originated in Czechoslovakia, which if IIRC was a communist country in the 40s.

SO, it is actually Bud drinkers that are the communist supporters! See what he drinks then. ;-)

This is an old thread. Since I made that post he had the good grace to die, thus never presenting this problem again for me. :)

One thing I require for people who choose not to finish one of mine is to tell me WHY. I had someone tell my that my coffee stout tasted "too much like coffee"

I have a few friends that say every HB or Commercial dark beer tastes like soy sauce. I hate it.

I have a few friends that say every HB or Commercial dark beer tastes like soy sauce. I hate it.

As preface to my comment, I will say that I would not appreciate it if someone just poured out one of my homebrews. Normally, with people who are suspect with regard to their experience drinking homebrew, I will offer tastes first.

My comment involves taste itself. It's not the same for all people, and is in some cases genetic. I have a friend who can't eat cilantro, because it tastes like soap to her. It's my understanding that this is genetically based. Maybe some ingredients in dark beer make it taste like soy sauce. Thankfully, none of this applies to me.

I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by friends who enjoy good beer. Some of them brew, some of them brew with me. Those who brew know the hard work that goes into it. Those who don't still appreciate the craftsmanship, and if all else fails, my friends are not the type to EVER leave half a beer standing. Unless its BMC.

Ksosh said:
Simple solution:
Set up a large carboy with a funnel next to the sink, with a sign that says "Please pour unused beer into carboy for disposal"
...then after it's full, bottle it with some carb tablets and give it back to the people who dump out your beer on a regular basis. Call it a 'poor-pourri' beer and see if they like it.

I like that idea. or if there are plenty of people around, just do a hand off haha

I don't have a tap, just bottles, so it's a little tougher for me to swallow the idea of pouring out. Because there's really no good way for me to do samples. And while I agree that I abhor the idea of pouring out beer in general, I also agree with those who say that it's just not right to make someone drink something that they don't enjoy. I've had some beers at brewpubs that were just awful (a nitro pull oatmeal stout comes to mind) where it was so bad I could not finish it. When it comes to my beers then, my preference is to pour the other person a glass, let them try it, and if they like it, great, crack one for me, and pour it. If they don't, I'll take theirs and try and find them another. I don't have enough options sitting around to make that too problematic just yet. :)

I'm a strong believer in pouring short beers for those I suspect might not like them. If they dump that, then I have no hard feelings, that's what a sample is for. If they like it, out comes the pint glass or equivalent. Also, no one comes behind my bar unless I know them well.:tank:

i don't really care if someone pours out a beer i made because i have strong feelings about the things i like or don't like to eat or drink so i expect that others may feel the same way. what are the options, force someone to like my beer and drink it? get upset? neither make sense to me.

i don't really care if someone pours out a beer i made because i have strong feelings about the things i like or don't like to eat or drink so i expect that others may feel the same way. what are the options, force someone to like my beer and drink it? get upset? neither make sense to me.

You're missing the option where they take a small sample of the beer first to determine if they like it.

As passionate lovers of unusual and rare beer styles we have an obligation to guide others through it. Most of us can look back to a time when their perception of the spectrum of "beer" was grossly expanded. Most BMC drinkers and samples of your hard work are still there. If you give someone a full pint of something you know 90% + of beer drinkers don't enjoy yet alone brew more interesting beers then the typical "micro" its your own fault. Be an ambassador of a new experience. Educate and tell the story before offering a little taste and they will taste with an open mind and palette.

Too much balbering, I've had a couple amazing sasions that 98% of this world won't ever appreciate.

i been havin a few "words" with a "Bud lover" at work and he's
owed a few bottles of my first home brew batch next week
and he 's had "good" home brew before , so man i been ah prayin
to da beer Gods please ho please help this not suck.....
if he pours/dumps this out I'll never hear the end of it.

If you're going to run a keg, maybe offer different sized glasses or sample sized glasses. Plan for the people who aren't as robust a drinker as you are.

I keep some commerical brands on hand as well as hard booze just in case.

i was mildly offended when my neighbor the bud guy poured out one of my beers, but it was one of the other neighbors that asked him what the hell he was thinking, so i still got to laugh on the inside hehe

That's why I have a couple sets of 4oz taster glasses. If the in-laws don't like it, more for me.

+1 on the tasters. I always give everyone a taste of all the beers and they can get a full pint if they like them.

Me too. I don't have anything smaller than 8 ounces, nor do I leg, but I'll pour them a bit from my own bottle to taste.

Back