Are you offended when others pour your beer out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A possible solution is to provide smaller glasses. I know EdWort is a big proponent of that technique. I've seen it in action, and it works. It also keeps someone from getting a full pint of a beer he doesn't like.

That is what I do, I have sample glasses that I use. If someone wants to try some beer I will pour it in there if they like it they can get a full glass, if they do not I will gladly finish the glass. I would have a problem however with the frat boy that was mentioned earlier that helps himself to a beer than pours it out. That would make me a little upset. But the sample glasses do help out alot.

Again, something only my father has yet to do. Most people even if they find your beer offensive won't waste the valuable alcohol.

Like redraider just said, when letting someone "try my beer" I usually pour 50-60mls into a glass and let them try it. Usually they dont tell me they dislike it as not to offend me, but id rather have the truth out there, rather than wasting a beer.

It bothers me how everyone is into lagers and beers that taste like nothing because their triple filtered and have barely any hops in them. People are usually disgusted by the way the bottom of the bottle looks, and think that yeast is bad for you.

I can only make ales, since I dont have a cooling area. Alot of people are just not used to drinking ales, and figure an aftertaste is a bad thing. Ive had a couple people make a face when drinking my cooper extract brews, and those are by far the best ive had so far!

Everyone here is into light beers low hops such as canadian, blue, coors light, corona. No kidding, it was probobly their first ale they ever tried LOL

I always pour people a very short pour, like 2-3 oz. Then if they want more, I tell them to get it themselves. For some reason or another, people are more honest about what they want when they have to reach for it themselves.

Yeah...I agree. The only Mother ****** thats pours my beer out is ME!!! Cause i made it.

Word. And I can't even bring myself to do it.

I generally try not to offer homebrew to those that I know are unlikely to enjoy it. And if you try one and don't like it, either give it to me, or choke it down you bastard. Hombrew does not = free beer.......

I don't get the opportunity to share me beer often. The people who do drink it always try a sample first before deciding on which one to drink.

i hate when even bmc gets poured

Me too.

At least ask someone else if they want to finish it, providing there is no trash or cig butts in it. I just hate seeing 95% full bottles sitting around after a night of drinking, that really pisses me off too.

I'm starting to think there are some people that just aren't very discriminating if they finish beer that they do not enjoy.

Where does the, "you have to drink it" mentality end?

Do you always eat all of the food on you plate- all the time?
Burn up all the gas in your rental car because you agreed to bring it back empty?

If I enjoy the conversation and company of your wife, are you offended if I don't pull you aside and ask if I can finish off the entire pint? Wink wink nudge nudge :drunk:

Where does the, "you have to drink it" mentality end?

Good analogy. We're not looking to punch someone in the neck...wait, different thread...we're not offended if someone doesn't finish their lasagna or every last chicken wing, are we? Why are we demanding that people choke down beer they don't want? I've personally tossed out 4 full kegs of beer in the last year that didn't necessarily have anything wrong with them other than they just didn't turn out like I'd hoped and I didn't feel like drinking 20 gallons of unappealing beer. Life's too short.

If someone doesn't care to finish a beer for whatever reason, then they shouldn't feel compelled to do so. It's just beer. We'll make more.

I've been accused of finishing a half-full, sun-baked, ant-infested can of Guinness once...

I deny it to this day.

Actually, for some reason over the past few years I've developed sort of a compulsion and I'll stuff down those last few fries even if I'm full already. But that's just me :)

As for dumping kegs, though... I can't do that. It's not a philosophical thing, it's a practical one: I'm not one of those 'I brew to save money' guys, but I have neither the time nor the money to waste a batch that took me all day to make. If it's bad, then yes it will go. But if it's mediocre... my hefe isn't spectacular, though it's gotten better with time, and right now it's pretty much the only homebrew I have (and I hope to be able to brew again before the keg kicks).

I've poured more than a few ****ty craft beers after trying to force them down. The brewers didn't cock punch me.

I think it's a good idea to offer samples to people and see if they like them, but if you pour them a full pint or allow them to pour a full pint and they dump it then tough luck. Hopefully you'll have the opportunity to finish it yourself.

Most of my friends are bmc drinkers and don't really have the palate for the beers I brew. If someone accepts my offer to try one of my beers I always pour a short sample for them and ask them to be honest. If you don't care for my beer you won't hurt my feelings, I like my brews so that's what matters.

Most people have been honest and if they like it then they get all they want, if not, there's a loiquor store 1/2 block away that will sell you all the s**t beer you can drink.

As we all know, a lot of time and energy goes into the process (more if you're a bottler like me) and I'd just as soon not see it go to waste. But, then again if it gets dumped, it gets dumped; no crying about it here.

I was racking to secondary yesterday and I even drank a good portion of the gunk at the bottom of the primary. Didn't want to dump it all! It was like drinking a chocolate milk shake. It was a porter btw.

My nightmare would be a guest of mine, under some sense of misplaced obligation, forcing something down, beer, wine, food, that they did not like. Lord knows I wouldn't. I bought a case of Holiday Ales last year and dumped probably 1/3 of the beer after trying it and not liking it.

As far as drinking the yeast slurry at the bottom of the primary (;) ) I think this is much more of a sign of noobness than anything else. I won't even drink my hydro samples. It has been years since I've tried a beer that has been in bottle less than three weeks also but I can still remember being a beer pedophile.

When I have a friend over for a beer I like to make the first pours myself. I just pour a taster and let them try each of the beers on tap. Then they can fill up with whichever they prefer. This also helps to avoid that rare embarrassing moment when a guy doesn't know how to operate a tap! Hard to believe but I had a fellow alumni over for a football game and he turned my tap sideways and rotated my perlick sideways! Apparently he had never turned on a tap before. Luckily the tap didn't start flowing.

Is this thread still going!? :D

Since it started, my mind changes daily on the subject. I think the reason is that it would offend me if someone I didn't like pitched my beer, but I'd be OK with someone I DID like doing the exact same thing! I find I am very picky about how I consider people's motives. ;)

Eeeew!!! One of my dogs just farted!! I'm sorry for you guys that it should happen in this thread!.....Sorry! :(

One time, when my sister was very young, I asked her where money came from. She pondered the question briefly, and quickly made up her mind. Money, she was sure, comes from the bank. You ask the lady for money, and she gives it to you.

Likewise, when guests stop by my home, and they want beer, they pull the lever on the tap. Beer comes out. The concept is very simple. QUOTE]

I am sure somewhere is this thread this has been asked but if not I will ask. Where is this bank where you ask for money and they give it to you? :D

I encourage all people to take 2-3 ounce pulls off my taps before deciding on a beer to fill up with. That's one of the beauties of kegging for sure. I have poured my own beer out when it's really late and I don't want to finish it. But if someone else did so casually, I would be irked for sure. Also, I would never do that to a fellow brewer. I would relish every drop and thank them profusely.

Every time somebody pours one of my beers down the drain, a little bit of my soul goes with it:(

There's a sign on my kegger that says "you are welcome to drink as much of this fine handcrafted beer as you'd like, but please drink all that you take".

I will be adding a sign to me beer cooler as soon as I can get the sign made.
That, Sir, is poetry.:mug:

I am sure somewhere is this thread this has been asked but if not I will ask. Where is this bank where you ask for money and they give it to you? :D

I'm sure there will be a Bobby_M tutorial on how to make a money tap soon, but it'll require welding. 'I TOLD you to learn while making your IC!' he'll say.

Again, I think this comes down to intent and respect. Someone saying 'I don't like this, sorry' is one thing, but a person saying 'Oh this sucks' and running to dump it is another. A chef won't expect you to clean your plate but he'd probably be pissed if you took one bite, spat it out and went to McDonald's.

I'm sure there will be a Bobby_M tutorial on how to make a money tap soon, but it'll require welding. 'I TOLD you to learn while making your IC!' he'll say.

If you're welding your IC I think it's safe to say you should stay away from DIY :) Now if your soldering it ...........:D
But no worries, Cheyco would just come out with a no solder version. :mug:

couldn't think of anything more disrespectful in the beer world, if someone buys you a pint or makes one for you and offers it to you, you drink it!

Sock that mother f***** in the gut and make him pour out the rest he already drank, out of his mouth.

I too think I'll be adding a similar sign to my kegerator. I already have an ancient sticker I got with my first kit years ago, it says "you'll never have more fun making something at home. Well, other than kids, maybe." True words indeed.

That said, when I do give out a pint to a curious guest I pour it and usually fill the glass about half full. I then tell them that they do not have to drink it and I will not be the least insulted if it is not for them but *I* do like it *very much* and would be happy to take it off their hands if they'd rather not finish it. I've never had problems with people dumping it in the sink or leaving it out but then again I make pretty a tasty brew and I don't push it on them but merely provide it if asked.

I can't imagine someone watering one of my beers down, literally. I'd kick his *** to the curb, literally!

And for the record, I finish my beers and I clean my plate. Always. I guess I might think differently if I had a weight problem:p

I wanted to add that I have this analogy I use when discussing beer preferences with guests:

Man's relationship with beer is like man's relationship with women. Some men will take whatever they can get, some have poor taste while others have great taste, some have a particular 'type' and that's all they want, and there are even a few who don't like them at all.

I am not offended at all - I realize not everyone likes every type of beer. But I rarely run into that situation because I usually pour the "uninitiated" a small taste before giving them a full pint. If they serve themselves and they pour it out, I'll politely ask them to try a small sample first, next time.

My feelings also. However, the jerk that diluted my IIPA down with tapwater would get some schooling in decorum.

That is in some ways a more extreme example of salting food at the table (which I happen to think is rude, but I know I am in the minority).

I have a friend who's wife is notorious for saying "yeah give me a beer!", taking one drink and just leaving it on the counter. I learned a long time ago to allow her to taste it first, then decide if she wants a bottle.

Invite EVERYONE you know that frequents for a BBQ. When someone dumps some beer, grab the (back of their head, hair, neck pick one) and start slamming their face against the bottom of the sink while screaming,"GET IT BACK, Get IT BACK". ;)

Up here in the Great White North it's pretty much illegal to waste beer of any kind. Even the last dregs of a gross pitcher must be consumed before leaving the table.

If I saw a friend doing this I'd slap 'em. For real.

I know that I make some hoppy beverage. I know I've had more than my fair share of sour. So, if someone pours a beverage away because they got a sour or they couldn't handle more hops than you can shake a stick at.....I understand it.

What I truly love is someone that comes up to me and say's something like "You need to sell this! This is great!" or "Put this on a grocery shelf and I'd buy it!"

I now have small glasses on top of my kegerator. If anyone wants to get some beer, I suggest they take a small sample and see if they like it first. But I won't force someone to drink a beer they don't like. I wouldn't want someone to expect me to drink a nasty sour beer and risk puking all over the place.

When people ask to try beers I usually offer to split it with them. That way if they don't like it I don't lose much beer. Oh and it gives me an excuse to drink some beer and talk to them about it. It's also a good way to let them try multiple beers at one sitting.

However if it is somebody I know will enjoy the beer then I give them a full bottle.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible said:
One aspect of the beer dumping that might not yet have been addressed here:-

My Father in Law will always taste my brews if I offer them. However, he always states beforehand that he will NOT enjoy it. He will NOT like it, and he will NOT like the next one either.

Why does he not like teh darker beer? Well, because it is unamerican of course! Beer must taste like Bud, otherwise the commies have won! It's sad, but true.

You should remind you FIL that Bud actually originated in Czechoslovakia, which if IIRC was a communist country in the 40s.

SO, it is actually Bud drinkers that are the communist supporters! See what he drinks then. ;-)

Back